Sunday, April 21, 2019

The New Geekly Weekly 3

Now Playing: Battlefield V
Now Listening:  Kinda Funny podcasts
Now Watching:
Now Reading:  
Now Writing: Dakotah Slade Paranormal/Investigator
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Happy 4/20 everyone!
I stayed up way too late playing video games again. Sometimes when you get in a good group of guys, it's hard to let go. I also keep cutting shows from the list so I'll have more time to game, which is probably not good. or really good. I dunno.
Turns out I can't fix the audio issue with GTA IV. Which is too bad. I sorta see my streaming efforts as a chance to share how into the story modes I get, how I really try to roleplay the character. But game I tackle thinking will be perfect for me to show my stuff, there's some glitch or bullshit that gets in the way. Sad. Or I just suck. Often it's just that.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Geekly Weekly TV Rankings  (➤ for new) (PPS: I live tweet shows on twitter, but I try  to keep those spoiler-lite @AndrewGeczy)
  1. Game of Thrones *****
    I love this show so much. Right away I was giddy as a school girl. Seeing Arya again was more than enough for me. She didn't have enough to do. I'm surprised Jon didn't notice her lurking around in the crowd. It's also interesting seeing everyone react to Daenarys. People don't like her very much, and they have good reason. She's killed a lot of people for no better reason than because they wouldn't worship her. I wonder if Sam is right that Jon would make a better king. And what will that mean? I have heard a theory that pretty plausible surrounding Tyrion, and I gotta say. Nothing in this episode contradicted that theory. In fact it's almost as if watching the parts play out exactly as expected. Not that there weren't moments of joy. Like Jon riding Rhaegal. 
  2. Legends of Tomorrow *****
    Amazing episode. I almost wanted to put this episode above Game of Thrones, after all the best show ever didn't have me rolling in tears of laughter for the whole episode. An episode with a funeral no less. Everything with Zari was just pure gold. I love her so much. But even the subplot with Ray and his real world wife was just hilarious. So god damn funny and perfect. This episode was just perfection in an hour.
  3. Killing Eve *****
    This show is amazing. It's so fun, and its star is one of the charismatic actresses in hollywood. Villanelle is so crazy and hilarious and absurd. I heart her so much. This show has been as strong as ever in season two, even with the new showrunner. If there was one thing I was disappointed about, it was the ending. The two hitter of the old guy handler I didn't care for, and Villanelle getting a new handler, who I don't care for. She's more interesting when she's off the chain, and going after Sandra Oh. I wanna see them meet up... and sleep together. I'm weird.
  4. Cloak and Dagger *****
    Great episode of Cloak and Dagger.  This season has been amazing so far. I love the two Bridgettes., with one already taking on the name mayhem. I'm not quite sure how they decided on the name. Someone was like "Man, she's causing so much mayhem" and then next thing I know they're just like "Mayhem was here! We have to catch Mayhem!" Okay, so we're just going with that then. "She's super strong Have you ever faced someone like her before?" They've never faced anyone before. They aren't the Avengers! I do like the parallels between this show and Star Trek. Clearly the detective is the victim of a horrific transporter accident.
  5. The Flash *****
    I really enjoyed this episode this week. Going through Nora's past was a hell of an emotional ride. Nora's past, our future. She's really been put through the wringer, her mind blown repeatedly in a very short amount of time. What's really crazy is how she didn't know the flash was her father, but she was super obsessed with him all through childhood anyway? I really assumed she was raised knowing who her father was. I dunno if that was ever clarified. Also I didn't love her friend, but it was fine when she died. A lot of the emotion really landed. This episode had impact, and it did a great job of it too. I almost gave it five stars and put it above Legends. But that could just be the crazy "newer is better" part of my brain.
  6. Into the Badlands **** 1/2
    I hate, more and more, that we are coming to the end of this show. That's the worst thing about this season, though this episode was fantastic. I loved that Bajie survived, though I expected it, both last episode, and then was even more confirmed by the way they had Magnus tell Sunnby he was dead, and then thankfully they didn't take long to confirm of suspicions. That fight scene at the end was amazing too, we haven't had a fight scene that good in a while, they'd been a little busy with the plot, as they still are here but the carved out a chunk for a good fight and it worked. Also Widow comforting the master at the end of her life was great. And the montage at the end was good, though the choice of music, while warming to me as it went on, was pretty jarring at first.
  7.   Doom Patrol **** 1/2Good episode, with some great moments, but now that the show has hit such heights, a filler episode about Timothy Dalton's love affair with a cavewoman while Rita and Cyborg (My least favourite character) bumble around chasing after Beard Hunter. Beard Hunter by the way, hilariously realized, and disturbingly unsettling. Do not eat while watching this episode. I made that mistake.
  8. Cloak and Dagger Ep 2x04 ****1/2
    Good episode again, the show continuing to be strong as it continues its second season. THis episode was a little more messy than the last three, with Tandy's adventures inside ty being a bit more mercurious. Which apparently isn't a word, but it should be. Ty not being able to use his powers was rough to watch as he was put through the wringer and had to cope without his powers. A great episode, just not at the high level this show is capable of. It can be even better than this.
  9. Arrow ****1/2
    It was a really good episode, focusing on the women of the show for the most part, and I enjoyed it... for the most part. I've never liked Dinah, and this show did nothing to change my mind about that. It was also annoying that this was this first time in while Laurel got any attention, and it was to send her away. And she's a character I like. Now I fear we'll only be getting more DInah. That said, I can't fault the episode for the turn in the show. I enjoyed the episode, when Dinah wasn't busy being a bitch. I'm suddenly wondering. What if they are hiding the fact that Oliver dies in the crossover. Because everyone expects it, but no one will suspect they've been building up to it for a year and a half in the flash-forwards. It's not that much of a mind blown, but this is CW, that's about the best they're gonna get. Ask me sometime about my game of thrones theory. It's not actually mine, and based on an unverified leak, but I'm convinced it's true based on all kinds of evidence in the show. And from that theory I've pretty much constructed the whole structure of the season in my head, and so far it's looking pretty accurate.
  10. Brooklyn Nine Nine ****
    Fun episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine this week. Unlike last week's snoozefest, this week brought the fun. I loved the storyline between Peralta and Holt's husband. I loved Holt trying to prove himself to Kevin's faculty. I even enjoyed Amy's strange B story and Rosa backing her no matter how silly it got, even though the b-plot was largely throwaway. All in all, a fun episode.
  11. Star Trek Discovery ***
    I'm having a hard time knowing quite how to place this episode. It had moments of greatness, when things really came together. The battle scene was really over the top. There were moments that impacted me and gave me shivers. But there were also moments that had me groaning and rolling my eyes. There were moments that had me asking why characters were making the choices they were making. There were moments that really frustrated me. Half of this episode is worthy of five stars, and half of this episode is so bad as for me to give it one star. So in the end it lands somewhere in the middle. Hopefully next season will be better. I do find it strange that for once my opinion is different from that of a lot of others. I loved the first and second episode of the first season where most people hated it. I thought the rest of the season was good, where most people though it was meh. I thought the finale was meh when a lot of people thought it was a step in the right direction. And now in season two it seems everyone loved this season, and I thought it was barely serviceable. Weird.
  12. American Gods ***
    It was an alright episode of American Gods this week, delving into the histories of both Wednesday and, to a lesser extent, Nancy. We get to learn their origins so to speak, and they are fascinating stories. But was that enough to elevate this episode? Not really, but it kept my interest none the less. Possibly the best part of the episode was the quality Burlesque.
  13. Gotham ***
    It was a boring run by numbers episode of the show. Was it the finale? Cause it sure felt like it, but it wasn't particularly good. I'm so kinda done with this show, but we'll see.
  14. Brooklyn Nine Nine ***
    Not a great episode of the show. There were certainly great moments, but I was shocked at Peralta being so against having kids. It makes sense that he had a bad father and wouldn't want to perpetuate that, but I feel like someone like him, with a childish and geeky heart, would want to pass it on. Most geeks do. So it was weird. I did like that as soon as Amy started talking about seeing other people he snapped awake and put an end to it. Obviously he hadn't realized how much kids meant to her, and she doesn't realize how much she means to him. I'm pretty convinced, and hope, that he wouldn't let anything tear them apart if he can help it. And that includes any kind of differing of opinions. As it was, his speech at the end fell very false, but I like my explanation better, and perhaps as we continue forward we will see that he still hasn't fully accepted becoming a father, but he'll make it in the end for all the reasons I give.
  15.   Big Bang Theory **1/2Not a great episode of big bang theory, seeming to manufacture drama at the expense of the characters. There wasn't much fun or funny about this episode, instead leaning more on awkward and uneasy. But there were moments that came close to funny, and it left Sheldon's relationship in a good place.
  16. Saturday Night Live **
    I love Emma Stone as much as the next celebrity obsessed geek man-child, but the sketches this week were very meh. A lot of them just weren't funny, and Emma wasn't. It was just a whole bunch of meh. THe first BTS performance was the most interesting part of the episode. I was like "Hmm, I get why tween girls are going crazy over these guys."
  17. X X The Warrior XXX
    A
    nother show off the list. I didn't really give this episode a chance. I've just become fussier with the TV I'm following right now, trying to down size.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1.   Vice News Tonight ****1/2 (April 17th - 19th)
  2. Last Week Tonight ****1/2 ( April 14th)
  3. James Corden ** (April 15th - 18th)
  4. Stephen Colbert ** (April 15th - 18th)
  5.   Graham Norton ** (April 19th)

No comments:

Post a Comment