Friday, November 30, 2018

Geekly Daily 35 (Friday, November 30): I need a Buddha box

Now playing: 
Now Watching: Daredevil Season 3 ep 6

Now Listening: Afterbuzz Podcasts (Catching up)
Now Reading:


Oh man. That was my worst shift yet. Man. This job is so rough :( and getting rougher. Why is it whenever I join a job suddenly it just gets so much worse. Ugh. Like Tim hortons it was a steady decline. When I started, in Oakville, I was reading on my phone for like hours of the shift. By the end at a different store admittedly, I was busting my ass from beginning to end, and dealing with all night breakfast, and never ending criticisms, and no time even for a normal break.

Here they were telling me things during training like “make sure you bring a book” and “it’s so chill and easy.” And I guess it was for them, but last night was so busy and chaotic, and on top of that the manager had asked me to do some deeper cleaning of a few of the shelves. Which I did without complaint. But that on top of how crazy the night was and things kept going wrong and customers were being really difficult, it left me with out even enough free time to read through my RSS news feed, for the second time in a row that week. And yet I was being told I'd have to be sure not to fall asleep, which I'm like "I got this, that's absolutely not going to be a problem." People telling me I'll be bored, and I'm like "That's not possible. I have so much I can do and work on while I work. This'll be the best job ever." Well I was wrong. Manager comes in in the morning, I tell him what an awesome job I did on the shelf. He's like "Great. From now on I want you to do that every night, for all the shelves." I'm like "Wait what?" So yes, a job that was supposed to be super easy, with a lot of leisure time, where all that was supposed to be expected of me was attentiveness and medium cleaning has now turned into me being expected  to tear the entire store apart, clean it down and then rebuild it, every single night. And what choice do I have but to do it? This job is still better than Tim Hortons, and I'm living in fear of being fired, daily. A woman fromt he afternoons was just fired. She was cute, and seemed like a good worker and responsible. Also a geek like me. The manager literally told me "Yeah, I don't know why she got fired, it was the people above me." Like, this is actually happening. I landed the easiest job ever, and before my very eyes it's morphing into another in what has been for me a long line of nightmare jobs.

I cannot stress this enough. I am the most unluckiest person in the god damned world. And I know everyone says that. "Oh I'm so unlucky." But the Geczy luck is unimaginable. Even my ex-girlfriend eventually admitted it. Roommates I had in University. Friends in high school. At least 3 times in my life if not more people have been around me long enough, usually a year or a couple of years, to eventually come to agree with me that yes, I am actually stupid unlucky. Like comics Archie Andrews unlucky, though a lot of time he makes his own luck, with stupid choices. This is worse than that. I'm literally talking about events where I've turned to these people and been like "Do you see what I mean." and they've been like "Yes, you are right. You're legitimately unlucky." Beyond anything they have seen before.

Murphy's law, the suggestion that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, has been a fact of my life for, it seems, as long as I've been alive. And it never stops. I don't know if I'm like building up a shit ton of karma points, like maybe to become rich and famous you have to earn it, and all these Karma chips will just cash in one day for instant stardom and multi-millions. And my life is all just my penance for one day in the future achieving my dreams. I just don't know how much longer I can hold on.

Oh and I got called out for saying “may the force be with you” again. Again! The manager doesn’t care, except he’s said he’s had multiple customers complain about it. And I’d already been curbing that habit after the last manager complained (I had stopped trying not to say it because I thought this location was more chill, but I still was saying it to like 1 outta 30 people as opposed to everyone like I'd made a habit of doing at Tim Hortons). Turns out, saying "May the Force Be With You" and "Live Long and Prosper" as a farewell was the worst habit to ever have, because apparently people hear the words "Live Long and Prosper" come out of the mouth of a friendly, kind, warm geeky kid at a local gas station, and it infuriates them so much they just have to come back during to day and report that disgusting offense to management. Because that makes complete fucking sense, and yet keeps happening again and again. I wonder if Tim Hortons got complaints too, and just never bothered to say anything. It was often strange the things they chose to care about. Apparently here too. Apparently every place in the world has very specific and arbitrary rules for what is and what isn't appropriate. I just, this whole thing is make my head hurt. And it's all so stressful.

I need a Buddha box.

Oh. Also. Daredevil was cancelled.

This is clearly the darkest timeline.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new, 🎈👑🎈 for the winner, 🐍 for the loser):
  1. 🎈👑🎈➤South Park *****
    Great episode this week. POssibly best episode of the seaosn. All the pieces seemed to fall into place, but more than that, yet again they dealt with issues that are really close to my life. Criticized things in my life I too have spent a long long time thinking about and criticizing. And they came to all the same conclusions I did. Kyle said it best. "Everyone feels anxiety. Everyone feels nervous, or scared to be around people. But you know what they do? They get over it." That was biting. Then in the B story you have the PC babies Crawling around town protesting things, and everyone immediately caves to them, but then also talks down to them like they are babies, while giving them everything they want. I find it hilarious. Just genius. Even if maybe I'm a little bit of a PC baby. I think they are too. I think in a lot of ways this episode was them making fun of themselves, and that why it feels personal to me too. But I'm introspective. I can take criticism. I know I'm not perfect. I can still laugh even when I'm being made fun of. I read something somewhere, reddit maybe? A comment. "The best criticisms come not from hate or ignorance, but from love." I love South Park. I wish I had released the TV rankings yesterday so The Flash could have enjoyed at least one daily in the top spot.
  2. The Flash *****
    Okay. This probably needs to just have the top spot, because it made me literally cry three times. Like tears streaming down my face ugly crying. Maybe no ugly crying. There was no snot. But I Frodo Baggins cried. You know, wide eyes with that single meaty tear. But like I had a steady stream. It was just the themes. And the little girl. And Nora and her dad. And how much he treats her like she's his daughter when he hasn't even had her yet, and the way Nora had to come to terms with mortality, and she's finally growing and learning, and and, and then weather witch killed her dad with a truck. Lol. Gotta say, Cicada's "sister?" seemed a little too old to want to play with a doll house, or even specifically that dollhouse. Like, maybe on the border, but then you take into account the trauma too, and there's no way she gives a fucking shit about that dollhouse. Especially after showing how perceptive she was at human psychology! Why not get her textbooks to become a therapist?
  3. Arrow *****
    Great episode of Arrow this week. Such a good episode, super intense from beginning to end. Could have been a finale. Some great fight scenes, a lot of Diaz posturing, and it was nice to see him die in the end, once and for all. They killed off a lot of people, in fact, this episode. This was an episode where things happened. People didn't just talk about things happening, like THe Gifted. Shit was getting done this episode. 5 stars, but I give it 5 stars with an asterisk. I just watched Daredevil season 3 episode 4. There is an insane scene in a prison, and this episode sort of felt like "Hey we can do this too!" And they totally did it too! They really did, which for CW is super impressive. 5 stars. But it wasn't as good. Sorry, it wasn't even close. Still, for the show it was a great episode. Just awesome.
  4. Supergirl ****1/2
    That was a good episode this week. I love how the stories they are telling this season are very different than the stories we are used to. There's nothing status quo about any of this and it's wonderfully exciting. The only drag this week was Lena Luthor. The first scene was such an obvious foreshadow to how her subplot would end, the whole time I was just watching the expected pieces fall into place barreling us towards the poor man's death.
  5. Legends of Tomorrow ****
    It's weird because the plot I enjoyed most this episode had nothing to do with any of the main characters.Watching Ava and Nora and the cute new girl hang out in a locked down prison was a lot of fun. I enjoy Nora, and the new girl, and hope we'll see more of them. We don't even need the Legends anymore. Their story was alright, but I'm getting tired of Nate leaving every episode, just to still feature just as heavily in the next episoe. Do we have to hear him say goodbye every time for the last five minutes of every episode?
  6.  Doctor Who ****
    Good episode of Doctor Who this week, a twisty story about witches that ended up being an alien invasion from an underground ancient prison. Again it did a good job of combining classic Doctor Who storytelling with modern day social commentary. I've heard complaints from people that the social commentary is ruining the show, but I don't have a problem with it at all. The episode was super strong, but most Doctor Who episodes aren't. I've been critical of every season of the show since day one. I still love it. A highlight this week was the gay paranoid king, who apparently had a fancy for da black dick. I was impressed how much the Doctor's companion just took it in stride. It was fun. That king had a lot of really fun moments, as shitty of a person as he was he was fun to follow for an episode. Even when they left it was a fun little "...where did they go?"
  7.  The Walking Dead ****Good scary episode this week. These whisperers are the most fun thing this show has done in a while. I enjoyed the episode as a whole, though I had been spoiled that a death was coming. I was hoping it was one of those dumb kids, but somehow the dumb kids get away with everything, Henry gets stuck in prison, Oh and Jesus. Jesus christ Jesus. Also I was hoping Michonne would like have a sword fight with the guy or something, but naw he just died in the chaos.
  8. ➤Riverdale ****
    Good episode of Riverdale this week. Not great, the show can be so strangely surreal. And often times it's in the best way possible. And then a single student invites like 12 parents from across the school for a secret meeting, and they all came, learned it was Betty and was like "Alright, you're clearly on to something. We'll hear you out." Yeah right! They'd be like "Get this girl out of my face, these silly games too." They'd act like Hiram. Maybe I'm being too critical, maybe this is all just coming off as stupid cause this G&G cult is so stupid. That said, the twist at the end with Betty at the (indoctrination?) school was crazy. But I could care less about Archie leaving town, so soon after being split up by the jail. Ugh.
  9. ➤The Goldbergs ****Alright episode of the show, but like the last time I criticized the Goldbergs, this show is just a bunch of hijinx in a bow, and it certainly was trying to lead the characters anywhere interesting this episode. But the jokes were funny, and it largely worked. I think my favourite aspect of the episode was JTP trying to help Barry with his dad, and especially the one and only voice of reason in the group. Is it Jason Bradley? I can't remember but he was hilarious this episode, and had a surprising lot to do.
  10. The Gifted ****It's not that this episode was better than any other episode, it still had all the same faults. But instead of being a better show, they chose the next best thing, and they focused on Lorna for the episode. Lorna and her daughter, and her father (Magneto). It was a great episode if you like Lorna, and I do like Lorna, despite the fact that she's clearly broken. I don't quite get how she was hated in her high school though. I would have thought she was the coolest chick. I'd have been her friend, if she didn't have any. Though she'd probably hate me. It's too bad they couldn't talk about Magneto by name. It's also too bad Michael Fassbender can't turn up for a couple episodes. Not that I think he should want to.
  11. ➤Black Lightning ***1/2It was a fine episode of Black Lightning. I'm worried about Jenn, I thought the stuff about the kids was interesting, and the fight against the "Sanjay?" was alright and perfectly watchable. But it wasn't anything to write home about, and it's too bad that one woman was a great villain and they ended up beating her pretty easily. But still, it was a decent episode, and kept my interest. Oh and why did they think electrocuting Black Lightning would be an effective form of torture? That was really dumb.
  12.  Star Wars Resistance ***
    It was an alright episode this week. I didn't care too much about what was going on, but it wasn't a bad episode by any stretch. I'm a little confused though. So did Yieger say that his brother killed his wife and kids in the crash? Cause if so, I can understand why he wouldn't want to forgive him... but damn that seems dark.
  13. 🐍➤ The Rookie *It's out. Having a bad morning I guess. At least, slept weird, and I just don't have time for bullshit. I say after watching The Flash and crying three times. Like tears streaming down my face. Anyway, this starts with their cruiser turning upside down, and Dark Matter chick is at the wheel, and her trainer is like "That go the way you expect Boot?" cause of course he's some alpha male douchebag, and he's trying to prove to her that she's too soft, and she's trying to prove that though a woman she can be just as strong as a man. Because everyone needs the strength of an alpha male, or needs to aspire to it. We then cut to a dive bar we people start drinking really heavily and talking about how manly they are, and all the manly alpha male douchebag things they do. I'm done. I just came from Legends where 3 women ate cake, and it was beautiful. And this show is not going to take that away from me. ANd no I'm not gay, I'm just not very masculine, and that's okay, except it isn't because of shows like the rookie that maintain that alpha male douchery is what we should aspire to. So anyway, I'm done.

Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice News Tonight
  2. ➤ The Daily Show
  3. ➤ Stephen Colbert

No comments:

Post a Comment