Monday, November 26, 2018

Geekly Weekly 12 (Sunday, November 25): Big day for 99% Geek Content

Now playing: Star Wars Battlefront 2 
Now Watching: Achievement hunter vids

Now Listening:Afterbuzz podcasts
Now Reading: My novel for release


Sorry I was a little lax with the daily blogs. There hasn't been much in the way of goings on in pop culture since Thankgsgivings. All anyone is talking about is shopping and sales. Two things I can enjoy because I'm broke as shit. I did it to myself of course. The really frustrating thing is that no matter how hard I try to save money, I always end up spending more money than I earn anyway. Not that I can really say I'm trying that hard when I bought DIablo 3, Pokemon Lets GO, and Super Smash Brothers all in the same month. Oh and Hitman 2. Jesus christ. At least I had the foresight not to buy Fallout 76 on sale. Not that I don't think it would be worth it, just that, unlike the other games that I am open to playing right away, Fallout 76 would get added to a list of thousands of games, with little hope of me getting to it in less than a year. And one thing I've learned about grabbing games on big sales. If I don't get to them in years... they are guaranteed to be cheaper by then. Even Nintendo now, thank god, though they used to be the outlier in that regard.

So sorry there hasn't been a lot of blogging going on. On the other hand, there's been plenty of great content for fans of my stuff. I've got a new audio podcast, after finding out my earlier episodes had a big spike in hits. I also finished the monthly chapter and released it to my 1 patreon subscriber. And then I released the chapter for free, alongside the other chapters, right here for everyone to read. Should be right below, I believe. It's all three released chapters of Dakotah Slade, a stand alone spinoff of Urban Fantasy. But not that stand alone, next "episode" they will in fact be sharing a crossover event. Characters from Urban Fantasy will be coming to Dakotah Slade, and then vice versa, and then vice versa again.

If you're new to this blog or me, what I'm talking about is my brand. 99% geek, at 99geek.ca I'm a writer. I write novels, but my goal in life is to write for TV. So I write these novels liek they are seasons of TV shows, with each chapter being a new episode. I have multiple stories, Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Urban Fantasy. Some even have spin offs. Every month it's a different book and genre, and I cycle through, releasing chapters in PDFs to my subscribers, and now in unformatted blog posts here to my non-subscribers. More than money I just want an audience. I just want people to find my work and enjoy it, and become a fan of my characters. I wanna hear feedback, see people gush about their favourite characters, and speculate what could happen next. I might not be a good enough writer to warrant that kind of following. But I want to become one. And I'm either going to succeed, or die trying. So if you want, read my stuff here for free, check out all the awesome Video Game streaming I've been up to (and theres more to come just waiting on Twitch for me to export), enjoy these blogs, my constant twitter feed. Spread the word, speak up, be heard. And if you have the dollar a month to give, that support would mean the world to me, and god knows I need it. My very life depends on it. Even if you aren't interested in reading my stuff, but love my other content. Subscribe on my patreon in support of my other endeavors, then bug me constantly to do more, and I guarantee I'll listen. But give only what you can, and if you can't give anything your time and voice mean so much more to me. Let's make 99% Geek something that can sustain. Let's make it something people can actually enjoy.


Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new ):
  1. Supergirl *****
    I'm sticking with my verdict that this is the best season of this show yet. I mean she fought a mutha-fucking dragon! On main street. For minutes! How did they have the CG budget for that? That was awesome! And Brainiac 5 was so good as well. He had so many awesome moments. I loved his perfect instant cover for secretly investigating the pamphlets, but then that fight scene was something else. Finally, I'm really enjoying Manchester. He's got a lot of charisma, but he's also very broken and brutal, and the show is really not holding back on him torturing people with sharp tools and electricity, or shooting down fleeing thugs in cold blood. I don't know what they are going to do with him yet, because clearly we're not supposed to think what he's doing is good, but damn is the actor fantastic.
  2. Doctor Who *****
    Awesome episode of Doctor Who. Legitimately good, well written, intense. classic who feel. fun setting and plot, enjoyable characters played by good actors. Did I mention well written? I made an excuse for this show at the beginning of the season, that it always has charm but it's not always well written. Well we've had some serious actually well scripted hours of television this season, and this is another one. I didn't see the twist coming for who the villain is. I didn't mind the bubble wrap reveal though. I made a joke about never popping bubble wrap again, like how Blink is supposed to make you look at angel statues differently, or you never go in the ocean after watching Jaws. But then the final moment of the episode made me think that was what they were going for as well, which would be the laziest attempt at that ever, considering the reveal wasn't until the final 8 minutes, and it wasn't really used as horror at all. There was really just the one time with Kira where it mattered at all. But okay, as I said, laziest attempt at that sort of "meme" thing I've ever seen, but I don't think that distracts from an otherwise fantastic episode. And the true villain was another great metaphor to our current political climate, a working man feeling like he's being replaced, and the Doctor arguing that the system isn't always broken, sometimes it's the people abusing the system, taking advantage of it. The old man's line "I think the only part of the system that's broken here is you." So good.
  3. Arrow *****
    Great week of television, especially if you're a geek like I am. I loved the Laurel-centric storyline, as she learned what it means to be a hero,standing up for whats right even if it's not for a reward. Even when you're hated for it. You do what's right anyway. It was nice having Anitole around again. I don't understand any of DIaz's choices, but better he let Anitole live than be a smart villain and kill the poor Russian. I thought Felicity was compelling, if a little morally ambiguous, and the end was a needed relief. maybe Oliver will finally get free. But that twist. I hated that weasel. I was hoping he'd die, but being evil works too.
  4. Titans ***** This was a good episode of the show, if a little cliche. The classic heroes get captured and trapped in insane asylum to be tortured for an episode. It was harrowing, and well done for the most part. I enjoyed when Raven killed that guy, or when Gar killed that guy. Or when Dick killed all those guys. Or when Kory blew up the building. It was a good episode. This show grows on me more and more every week. If this is the future of DC< DC looks good. And they have some of comic TV's best fight scenes too.
  5. The Flash ****1/2
     
    A good episode this week. I'm getting a little tired of Cecile coming on so strong. I get that she wants to be relevant, and she's allowed, but she doesn't have to put it on so thick. "I can be intimidating!" It almost seems like the actress thinks she's in a kid's show or something. It's overacting to the extreme, and it drives me crazy. I know part of her role this season was to hide that Joe West has back issues, and is hopefully seeking treatment. But I'd welcome her with open arms on the team if she wasn't so annoying. I do love Nora though, and her enthusiasm for her mother is delicious. I love Sherloque too. As always Tom Cavanagh is a national treasure, and a highlight of the show. Even though his character has had no reason to exist for seasons now, the fact they keep finding ways to bring him back anyway is most appreciated by me.
  6. Legends of Tomorrow ****1/2 Fun episode this week, and not really trying to be much more. I have to admit that the thread they used to connect Mick with the filmmaking with Japan around the time of Godzilla was thin at best. I actually read a review saying as such and I disagreed until just now when I thought about it. It did throw me a bit, but everything worked out at the end when his warrior woman with three boobs came to life and they made out over the spoils of her victory. Also I enjoyed seeing Ava Sharpe in civilian clothes. She rocked that sweater!
  7. Family Guy **** Funny episode, but it didn't set my hair on fire. I liked a bunch of the Meg jokes, and the references were really on point. Okay maybe my hair smouldered a little. I loved all the deep cuts, that were perfectly aimed for my age group. That GoldenEye scene at the end was priceless.
  8. Black Lightning ****
    Good episode of Black Lightning this week, largely content to just spin the wheels it already had in motion. From the producers that brought you "Surprise Gambi's dead!" comes "Surprise, Gambi's alive" and beyond that Anissa's plot helping the gang family was interesting. It quickly grew to be an A plot, but sorta seemed to come out of nowhere, and now fuels the cliffhanger. I'm also starting to warm up to Khaleel, and his relationship with Jenn. And seeing the mom grieve uncontrollably was heartbreaking.
  9. The Walking Dead ****
    Good episode of walking dead. A little slow, and no bad ass Judith, but I love what they're setting up. I cant wait for the whisperers. And it was nice to see Jesus again, and see him getting along with Aaron, and training him. Michonne needs to chill out, but other than that, next week is looking like it could be the best episode of the season. Maybe five stars?
  10. Star Wars Resistance ****
    That was a fun, intense episode of Resistance. I really enjoyed it, and the action, and the character dynamics. I liked getting more time with the engineer, and I liked the way she sort of idolized Sinara. Everytime I hear the name Sinara, though, I think of Agents of SHIELD. And are we not allowed to shoot people in this show. Cause there were multiple times the leader dude could have just saved the main character with a well placed shot, there were so many chances he could have shot the pirates blatantly trying to kill them, and instead they were shooting the guns out of their hand, or dropping the gun to fight them hand to hand. Is there a rule in this cartoon that engineers like them need to have some moral stance about killing murderous pirates? Unbelievable.
  11. Saturday Night Live ***
    A very average episode of the show. Not as bad as some episodes this season, but very far from the kind of episodes that make me laugh and laugh until I cried. There were things to chuckle to, but it was still largely uncomfortable barely comedy. Not the best season of this show so far, not by a long shot.
  12. The Rookie **I was really close to dropping this one. I did say after the pilot that I would drop the show if they ever broke up Nathan Fillion and the girl from Dark Matter. Well they did, and my time was limited. But the storytelling drew me in and I held on for the episode. Barely. We'll see about last week.
  13. ZNation *There are times when ZNation is so good, and then I feel bad and guilty because I always treat it as a lower tier show. As a show that's barely holding on to my attention. Then an episode like this comes by and reminds me why that is. It was just boring, and stupid, and frankly a complete waste of time. The Addy love interest was forced. The cowboy angle did nothing for me. Neither did them wrangling up zombies. I didn't like the guy feeding other guys his brains. The Zs hiding in the bushes. Also I don't really understand in the beginning when the main chick was like "We gotta figure out what they're putting in these biscuits." Didn't we already do that? We figured out where they came from, we figured out the secret ingredient. SO why do they keep asking. And every time it's like "Oh. It's brains... okay. But no really, what is it? Oh brains. Okay." And while I'm on it, shitting all over this show that until now has had a great season, I haven't liked the talker angle at all all season. It's come across as dumb to me this whole time. The strengths of the show just usually makes up for it. Oh I even hate Addy's hair covering her missing eye. Just wear an eye patch like everyone else. Did I mention Charlie's subplot was the worst. I fucking hate this episode so much. The only highlight this episode was the woman in the mask. She's so badass, and sexy, and sarcastic. 

Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice
  2. Last Week Tonight
  3. Vice News Tonight 
  4. Stephen Colbert
  5. James Corden
  6. This Hour has 22 Minutes 
  7. The Daily Show
  8. Graham Norton Show

No comments:

Post a Comment