Thursday, January 10, 2019

Geekly Daily 48 (Thursday January 10th):

Now playing: DVR

Maybe I'll cut down the top of the blog to just "Now Playing" seeing as how you can play a video game, but you also play a movie, or play a podcast, or play a book...okay doesn't work for the last one, but it's just meant to showcase the top thing I consumed that day, and I didn't always have a top thing for each category, so now all the categories are in one. And today the answer is very underwhelming. I am playing my DVR. I slept in till like 7, and this is my life. But thank god it's my friday.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new):
  1. Les Miserables *****
    Great second episode, even if it absolutely lives up to its name. This episode was mieserable. Watching the fall of Fontine was heartbreaking, and you couldn't do anything but watch. For me the hardest part was her selling her front teeth. Like jesus christ. That was rough. Can you imagine how much that would hurt, they were healthy teeth! It was also interesting, watching the dynamic between Javert and a hiding Jean Val Jean. I know this story just so well, but it's still be worth it watching the events play out one more time with these amazing performances. I just wish they would play out different this time. Its hard to watch. Finally, the sets are amazing. I feel like that needed to be said.
  2. The Orville *****
    Yes, that's 5 stars. Count them. Now it's not like I can make an arguement that "Yeah, you know when Game of Thrones gets 4 and a half stars? This episode is better than that." No, no, sometimes shows have to have a scale within themselves. What I mean is, a show has a certain amount of potential. And that's not even to say certain shows should get special treatment. Just means that know all shows aim to achieve the same goals. What I'm saying is, this show was absolutely the best Orville episode yet, and if that's not worth 5 stars, then nothing does. It followed my least favourite character too! Worf is equally my least favourite Trek character, Klingons my least favourite race. But I love how Bordis' storylines, as similar to work has he is, generally revolve around gay sex and homo relations as opposed violence, and pain, and self harm. Also, the B plot of the planet collapsing, and the primitive people trapped inside was awesome. The visual effects were insanely good, clearly this show has an improved budget. And the twist that they had to leave most the people behind was surprisingly touching. I actually teared up, I was sure they'd come up with some way to save everyone, and then the shuttle takes off and the planet explodes behind them and it's like "Oh, okay, no they're definitely dead." The episode actually made me care. And it's pretty impressive, a comedic show willing to get that dark and morose with its subject matter. It seems like THe Orville want's to play in all genres, to be all things to all people. And this episode they actually pulled it off. I don't understand how this wasn't the premiere. The equally character focused previous episode, minus the furious action and amazing special effects of this episode, would have made a great second episode, a more "bottle" episode making up for the high budget of this one. Apparently they decided to try something different, either that or the insane special effects for this episode just weren't ready yet.
  3. The Goldbergs ****1/2 Great episode of The Goldbergs this week, seeming to imply that they have a shared universe with the Adam Sandler movie The Wedding Singer and it was really fun all the references and footage they used from that movie. Really clever and fun. I mostly enjoyed Adam's struggle with drama. The most humour in this episode was from Jeff trying to convince Adam drama has it's value in filmmaking, and Adam just not getting it.
  4. Young Justice ****1/2
    They released 3 episodes in one week, and that's probably good because the first episode ended with the story really just beginning. I'm just glad they didn't just drop the whole season at once. I'm really liking everything DC has been doing with their streaming service so far. It's too bad they don't offer it in Canada and other territories. The three episodes sort of made up a complete arc, and it played with both old and new characters alike. Like the Orville above, it isn't shying away from tragedy despite the genre it decided to play in.
  5. Family Guy ****
    Fun episode of Family Guy this week, continuing its trend of meta references, self-referential humor, and subverting norms. This show knows itself so well now, and the types of jokes it can get away with. There were some great lines and moments, even if the overall plot of the episode just seemed like a slapped together mess of an episode. How we exactly got from Peter's house being a murder house to him lying like Fox news on TV and joining Trumps white house is a little beyond explanation, but the fun was the journey that got us there. I kinda hope next week DOES continue where this week's left off. But I doubt it.
  6. The Gifted ***Another meh episode of the Gifted. Okay, I'm not saying that there weren't moments I enjoyed. I heart Lorna so much, she's so awesome and hot and all Marcos has to do is put up with her shit, and it totally seems worth it to me and I would too. Aww, I would put up with all her shit to date her. But the part where she was all like "I didn't think she would go this far." this is only exactly the thing Marcos was warning her about, and exactly the reason why he didn't go with her, and NOW she's listening. It just reminds me so damn much of Trump supporters, but their so happy calling me dumb, and childish, and they are living every benefit of being a confident aggressive douche. Maybe if they were all hot pale goth type babes like Lorna I'd be more willing to put up with their shit.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice News
  2. Stephen Colbert
  3. The Daily Show
  4. James Corden

2 comments:

  1. Hmm pretty good, guess I need to check out the Orville... I've been kind of resistant but a 5 stars! Ok I'm sold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Keep in mind that I did have that whole preamble about it being 5 stars in relation to what the Orville is capable of. The Orville is a hard show to recommend. Because it's not what anyone expects it to be. It pretends on a surface level to be a comedy, and a star trek spoof, but when you start watching you realize it's a comedy that just plain isn't very funny. It has funny moments, but no more than any other show these days. It's strangely earnest, and takes it's silly outrageous world surprisingly serious and often plays things surprisingly straight. And it can be really jarring at first, and comes off as a total mishmash and really does feel just...bad a lot of the time. But that 2nd episode definitely leaned on it's own strengths, it was everything I just said but shifted into overdrive. It was funnier than usual, but also more serious than usual, and the visuals were the best of the series so far. So the show isn't necessarily a 5 star show, but if you watch the 2nd episode of season 2, it's definitely going to be the most likely to sell you on the strengths of the show.

    ReplyDelete