Sunday, September 16, 2018

99% Geekly Weekly 2 (September 16): DCAU

Now playing: Pokemon Yellow (3DS)
Now Watching:  DC Animated movies
Now Listening: Kinda Funny Morning Show, Kinda Funny Gaming Daily
Now Reading: Working on my novel Isabol Tseung Voice News

I've been really enjoying the DC animated movies. It's somewhat of a complicated thing to dive into for the uninformed, but in a period where the DC Movie Universe is having some major issues, the animated movies are actually doing something right.

It starts, really, with the Batman Animated TV show, and the Superman Animated TV show. They cross over, and finish off their runs. The Batman animated show even has some movies early on before the reboot with Tim Drake as Robin. Then there's the Justice League. Justice League Unlimited after that. Batman Beyond. Young Justice after that. It's not technically part of the same canon, but you can head canon it, and the same can be said for many of the movies that follow. SOme can be more easily head canoned to take place among the same canon than others. There's a lot of them, and you can find a list on wikipedia or google or whatever.

What I've been watching lately is the new canon they started with Flashpoint. Basically Flashpoint takes place in the old canon, but it's implied (Very loosely mind) that at the end he splinters reality by resetting time, and creates a new timeline, which are the movies that follow. So far I've watched Justice League War, Son of Batman, Justice League Throne of Atlantis, and Batman vs Robin. They've each been really good and fun in their own way, and worth watching. The batman ones have been a fun exploration of him and his son Damien. The Justice League ones have been brutal and fun in their own way. Quality stuff. If you've never touched any of DC's stuff, you should start from the beginning. That's Batman the animated Series. Just find some list with all DC animated shows and movies in release order, and work your way through it. It's all quality stuff, the Batman, Superman, and Justice League stuff. If you have already touched on that stuff, then start with Justice League War or Flashpoint Paradox, and enjoy the new continuity in it's awesomeness. It's worth your time. It all is.

Beyond that, I've started working on the chapter for the month. There'll be a free excerpt here,  in less than a week. Promise. I'd write more, but I'm watching some Iron Fist. Have a good week. We are the 99 percent.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings:
  1. Shameless *****
    Whenever I come across the question of what is my favourite TV show, there's so much great TV it's really hard to choose. Do I go with the cliche and Game of Thrones. Do I say Legion? Do I say one of the hundred comic book shows I love? SOmething more obscure? Often times I'll just default to Shameless, because the show is on its ninth season now and has never stopped being strong. It gives everything, I laught harder than any other show. I cry when it wants me to cry. The characters are a family, and there isn't one main character I don't love deeply. Besides Frank, but William H Macy plays him perfect.
  2. American Horror Story *****Traumatizing, disturbing, horrifying. I've missed AHS. If you've never watched, better to start with season 1 or 2. This one has gotten really bizzare, but I love every second.
  3. Fear the Walking Dead *****
    An amazing episode of Walking Dead this week. Really strong writing. Great cliffhanger finale. I really cared when they had the Polar Bear reveal. I don't subscribe to the belief that Walking Dead is a terrible show. I know people say Fear The Walking Dead is better, but I think they are both great shows. This episode might have been more action packed than some, but what the show has always excelled at is the quiet moments. The skill it has in getting you inside the heads of the characters, so that even when there isn't any dialogue you know what they are thinking and how they feel. It's not an easy thing to do, and the main show never lost it, and this show has it too. To really enjoy these "silly zombie horror" shows, you have to be able to appreciate the quiet subtle moments, because that's when they succeed best. And then it makes big moments like this week work only all the more dramatically.
  4. Killjoys ***Not their best episode. I still hold onto the assertion that the cast is amazing, and they are giving one hundred and twenty percent. I feel like this episode, the writing (And budget) really let the show down. But then Zeph starts acting her ass off without much to work with, and even as I'm cringing from the writing, I'm tearing up from her performance. I find the main girl (villain from Antman and the Wasp) also always gives 120%. The cast is just so good. That explosion near the end though, the big one, looked so god damned bad. I think the first explosion of Babylon 5 looked better. The first one, not the fancy remade one for the TV movie.
  5. The Last Ship ***
    I've never loved this show, but it's had moments that feel like a cheesy action film, but on a weekly TV budget. It's very pro America, and pro military, and seems to be getting dumber and dumber every season. Or maybe it was always dumb, and it's just bothering me more in season five. I dunno if I'm gonna stick with this. The trailer for the coming season looked alright. It's the final season. I might have one more season in me if they can make it good.
  6. You **
    A weird creepy show about how girls are always falling for the wrong guys, and punishing themselves and making the worst choices... and we explore all this through the eyes of a stalker / killer cause nothing will help nice guy geeks like us than to portray the good ones as stalking serial killers. I'm on the fence.
  7. Kidding *
    You won't see this next week. It lost me. I just don't like the characters or circumstances much at all. But there's a lot of truth there. Too much maybe.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice
    Great stories about how crazy Evangelist Christians are for Trump, and the horrible massacres in the Congo. Unspeakable things are going on there. This world is a horrible place.
  2. Last Week Tonight
  3. Stephen Colbert
  4. James Corden
    Was in the Fifth spot until their episode with Allison Brie and Keegan Michael Key.
  5. Daily Show

No comments:

Post a Comment