Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Geekly Daily 66 (Tuesday February 12):

Now playing: Working on my writing for the month


▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁


▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new):
  1. High Maintenance *****
    Great show. Last week wasn't quite as strong as some, but I loved this week's episode. We explored the set of a show, and it was great fun watching all the different pieces not quite turn so synchronously. Watch everything just slowly fall apart while everyone tries to desperately hold on to their little corner. Fascinating. Also I sympathize for the main guy's new girlfriend. Losing a baby is rough. Finally I watched something worthy of 5 stars this week, I watched everything else today first.
  2. genLOCK ****1/2
    Great episode of the show. The beginning was a little slow to start, and I thought we had another 4 star episode on our hands like everything below, but the ending was intense as fuck. They introduced the enemy, and the enemy ripped Maisie's head off. It was intense as fuck, and her scream was chilling.
  3. ➤ I am the Night ****1/2 Another amazing episode. I wasn't expecting the Satan twist, leaving me wonder if the main character might be the antichrist or something? It was fascinating though, and fun, watching her stubbornly continue her investigation despite all the unscrupulous sorts orbiting around her.
  4. ➤ Arrow ****It was a good arrow this week, and for once the future stuff wasn't totally boring. I like this Mia Smoak. And that fight scene was the best of the episode. I found the biggest let down was Stanley. Other people seemed to love this ep, but A) I knew it was Stanley from the very beginning and B) that took away from how creepy some of those creepy scenes were and C) I feel like there's no way he should be able to accomplish as much as he does, but then again, there was no way Oliver could have raised that bottle to knock Stanley out.
  5.  Family Guy **** 
    I didn't want to give all four of these shows 4 stars. I certainly didn't want to have to rank between them (Family Guy, Shameless, SNL, and Star Wars). That's the order I landed on. These episodes were all strong episodes, especially for shows that have felt a little weak or stagnant lately. That said, none of them were flawless of genius. Family Guy was hilarious, but not every joke landed. Also I might have been really stoned and found it funnier than it actually was. I did like Brian having sex with himself. And I got a kick in the end when his robot escaped to the pier to get one assumes gangbanged by sailor men, and Stewie's phone notifications play beautiful music.
  6. Shameless ****
    Good episode of Shameless. Not great, but really funny and fun. It felt great seeing Fiona try to turn a corner... and then the owner came and fired her and now she's heading to prison, and ugh! Not cool. But I continue to love Lip's storyline. Xan came back! I love when he's trying to help others. He's so empathic. Such a nice guy. And as someone who craves to be a father, I really ship his father daughter vibe with Xan. I'm also cool with the girlfriend sticking around if she wants to. She was nice this episode. And Debbie is really stepping up. Kevin and Vee never stop being perfect. And Carl's girlfriend is taking a liking to Debbie? Count me in.
  7. Saturday Night Live ****
    I'm actually a little shocked and surprised. After all the complaining I've been doing, I think this was easily the best episode of the season so far. Halsey was amazing. Both her performances were mesmerizing, and as usual I fell madly in love with her. The way she drew that on stage was so cool. I'm in awe. But on top of the guest, who had a weak monologue and wasn't necessarily why the episode was the best, despite how much I appreciate the energy she brought, almost every sketch was surprisingly strong. I was laughing hard, even at rehashes of sketches I didn't really like. The bad sketches were all seemingly saved with a funny twist, or whatever. I'm really impressed. I wish more of the season had been like this episode, and I hope there's more episodes like this to come. I'm sure it was probably hard, but they did an amazing job. I'm so proud of all of them. Also the episode had more Villasenor. That's an instant win. This was really firing on all cylinders, in a way I haven't seen all season. I think the worst sketch was the one where Kyle Mooney interrupted Black History month, and that still had me chuckling once of twice. Them Trumps was not funny at all until "We're being pulled over" "Yup, I saw that coming." and then it was hilarious.
  8. Star Wars Resistance ****Yup, another four star. 4 strong episodes, that are so just shy of great that picking which is better than the other is really hard.I enjoyed all the crazy hijinx with the stormtrooper armor. I almost forgot that troopers were programmed, something I should have known from Finn in the movie. For the most part I enjoyed them tryign to out run the first order, and trying to convince their one friend she's wrong about them. It's sorta like arguing with a conservative. how prescient.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. ➤ Vice News *****
  2. Stephen Colbert ****
  3. The Daily Show ****
  4. James Corden ***1/2
  5. Graham Norton ***

No comments:

Post a Comment