Saturday, February 2, 2019

Geekly Weekly 22 (Friday, February 1st):

Now playing: DVR

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Still haven't been able to find time for video games, and I gotta jump right into writing the next chapter, but I do want to get to the Hitman Elusive target before it expires in like 2 days, and then I also want to watch the Ocean's movies, and take some notes on Heist stories, before I try to tackle one myself in this month's story.

I'm really tired. Yet another day I fail to make it through this damn DVR. There is way to many shows. Look at that below. 20 shows! like slow down people!

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new):
  1. High Maintenance *****
    What an awesome episode  of High Maintenance. I mean, I can't remember there ever being a bad episode of High Maintenance, but this one was great. Every story was over the top and crazy, and just great for a laugh. And yet it still felt real, and crazy and god I just love this show so much. It's something special.
  2. Les Miserables *****
    1x04: Another amazing episode of an amazing show. What great production values. It really feels like what that time might have been like, dirty and miserable. Perhaps where they got the name. I like Eponine, though it took my time to realize it was Eponine. Also she might be going by a different name? I couldn't watch what it was. She was cute, and I'd also forgot that she was the daughter of Thenadier. Poor girl. Poor everyone who lived in this time, it really sucked for all of them.
    1x05: This show is so good, even if I know everything that's gonna happen before it happens. The acting is fantastic, that army looked intimidating, though they've really underwhelmed in practice so far. Eponine didn't last very long, but I guess there isn't much time left in the show. Is the next ep the finale? There's not much more to tell.
  3. ➤ I am the Night *****Amazing show. I'm super impressed. Much like Gen:Lock, I went into this hoping it would be terrible so I could skip it cause there is just too much TV these days. But it opened up with an amazing sweeping shot of a 1950s rural town. The performances in this show is top notch. The writing as well. I wanted to kiss my TV, because the lines of dialogue flowed so gracefully like butter out of their mouths. I wish I could write this well. This is the kind of writing I aspire too. It's really smart and really matches the time period. It feels really authentic, and dark, but the main characters are very likable, and those that aren't likable play it very well.
  4. The Flash ****1/2
    Great episode of the flash, as usual. It largely took place in a dreamscape, but definitely didn't fall into the same traps as other similar episodes of a show might. It was intense, a little messed up, the little girl was dark, Nora has a secret and Sherloque continues to be awesome.
  5. Shameless ****1/2
    Fun episode this week of Shameless. Had one of my favourite new lines. Shameless always has lines that just tickle me, starting in season one with "You're a whore! Whore's don't get cars!!!!" and this season, my favourite quote is "Ffffuck the tent. We're having sex in my room!" And just leaves the dad and Carl on the couch just like frozen in shock. "I should go." "I think you should." hahahaha, the father having to know now that she's having sex with Carl. As for everyone else, Kevin is always so much fun, I still feel for Lip, and thought it amusing that him and that girl are closer now that they both cheated. "Maybe stop fucking Boon?" "Okay, but then you stop fucking my sister." Lol. Poor Emmy Rossum, her storyline is the hardest to watch right now. She's becoming another Frank, and that's so sad.
  6. Deadly Class ****1/2
    1x02: Good second episode of deadly class. I loved doing the whole party thing with the second episode, that really let us see the characters unwind and get to know them in a casual setting. I don't care much for the school, or the whole "Training to be villains" plot. But if you throw a pale Asian goth babe at me, I'm gonna be hooked every time. I have a type. And there's two women on here that fit it. Oh man, that other goth is also so attractive, and I hearted the flirting between the punk kid and her, but it broke my heart when she took some dumb douchebag upstairs to fuck in his stead. I too have been rejected and hurt in a similar manner and no exactly how awful it feels. Sometimes women can really suck, and that moment felt really real for me. For the most part, I really enjoyed this episode though. And that's impressive, considering as I said, I kinda hate the premise. Oh also, the geologist from Big Bang Theory had likely his best role here. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.
    1x03: So good. Right out of the gate everyone is just talking about how Petra fucked Victor, and it's such a personal pain to me. I've had women reject me like that, going after some douchebag instead. And then she actually let him take her to the dance! And it was all an act! She never should have given him a chance, but there you have it. But then Billy. Billy there at the end was so smooth with the music and the dancing. He still there, and he would never ever heart her like Victor and those nazi bitches did. I did laugh at Victor's "Capitalism" line though. THat dance though. Billy and Petra. I'm such a suck for a goth romance.
  7. GenLock ****1/2 Really good new show by the creators Rooster Teeth. Yes, the makers of Red vs Blue and RWBY. I've never actually watched RWBY, but I'm a big fan of the early years of Red Vs Blue, then fell off the wagon after season 5 with an intention to go back that I haven't fullfilled yet. Probably have to start over, which isn't a bad thing, that show is hilarious. But this was something else entirely. This was smart, beautiful, professional, action packed, intense, well made, well voice acted. It was funny once or twice, and it did melodrama and romance without falling flat like some other animated show I know (Hint: It's below). This show has an all-star cast that should be all the proof you need that this show is something special. It includes David Tennat (Doctor Who), Michael B Jordan (Black Panther), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones, though I didn't notice her voice anywhere), and Dakotah Fanning (War of the Worlds). If even half those names made you perk up, check this out.
  8. Young Justice****1/2
    3x11:
    They went to school. Met some cute goth girl, because every show has realized what I always knew, that goth girls are super hot and awesome and bad ass. Forager is growing back his carapace, and also has some holo emitter thingy. I was surprised how accepting the goth girl was of Forager. Like he's acting like he's handicapped or something and she just is like "Aww he's weird and kinda cute" like okay. This has been less a deconstruct, and more just me trying to remember as much of the episode as I can... and yup that's about it.
    3x12: That was a really good episode. Good enough to give the rating a boost. We haven't seen much of Beast Boy this season, but that's the great thing about this show. It has just a fucking massive cast, and gives everyone kinda one big moment to shine, and then they're just kinda part of the team. Beast Boy's dream was really twisted and fucked up, just the way I liked it. It was soooooo dark, and then they had that Teen Titans Go interlude with the Doom Patrol where they do a whole music number about going off to die on a mission. Again, dark. "You should have saw it coming, we have doom in the name" was I believe one of the lines. Inspired. Meanwhile the stuff we learned about Halo was interesting, and her relationship with the douchebag anger issues prince guy is... terrible. But the part at the end was amusingly cute, if bizarre. As soon as Beast Boy started kissing the princess, I was like "Well, guess Superboy and M'gann better just start making out too." And then they did. Which is strange, "Oh hey the kids are making out, guess we should just make out too." And then they all just sorta made out together in silence in a hotel room. And then it cut to Halo making out with Douchebag anger issues prince guy. And then to Sphere for the credits. Though Sphere wasnt making out with anyone or anything. Unfortunately.
    3x13: I think I read somewhere that this was the mid-season finale, and it was fun how it brought the season together. Dick's briefing to Douchebag anger issues prince guy was like "Remember that time Batman did the thing in that episode, or the time Artemis did that thing in that episode, and the Beast Boy found out the thing at the end of last episode" Like a clip show, but all in like thirty seconds, and it was like "They were all connected, and now we're getting your sister back." And I expected them to have to fight for his sister, but I liked their approach a lot better. It was so simple! They just put on court of owl masks, walked right in, bid on her, won her, and walked right out and no one stopped them. I never expected that, too funny. THEN they went back and kicked tons of ass. Oh and the sister is evil, I saw that one coming. Halo's storyline with Cyborg was meh. Her hyperventillating was a bit much, but I cringed when Victor flat out decked her across the face.
  9. Supergirl ****
    Great episode of Supergirl. Loved every scene with Brainy, including him impersonating frat boys to get the names of their drug dealer. I hadn't actually realized when Alex had her memory taken away that she'd still remember Kara was her sister, just not that Kara is Supergirl. That's not so bad, though now it's all drama about her losing empathy to aliens. Did Jonn ever consider Alex could still remember Kara is an alien, just not that she's Supergirl. Did no one think of that? I mean if we're keeping the whole Kara sister thing, why not Kara sister illegal alien, but totally not Supergirl. Anyway, the main plot followed NiaNol I guess her name is? The trans one. I actually really like this storyline. Even though I'm not trans, and not exactly the most woke person on that topic, I appreciate what this writing does to both make her trans identity an integral aspect of the plot, and that it's sorta reaffirming to people who are trans, like maybe they were meant to be girls after all, because only girls can be dreamers.  It's a warm message and one I can support. Have I mentioned this is Supergirl's best season. I mean that's a perfect example of being PC without shoving it down our throats. Or having a big "This is the moral of the week" moment, it's just an intrinsic part of the plot. Kudos to the writers. They deserve a raise.
  10. Arrow ****
    It was a fine episode of Arrow, but felt a bit like a filler. After last episode largely felt as filler too, building up to a big talk that lasted about 30 seconds at the start of this episode. "I don't wanna talk" THEN WHY DID WE SPEND THE LAST 40 MINUTES HYPING THIS UP! Sorry. I'll control myself. I also was disappointed when Diaz's thing was a VR simulation. I assumed so, for a while. And then I was just questioning why Argus was so damn stupid, and begging for it to be a dream or VR sim. Then he fought Curtis, and I was hoping it was real and Curtis would man up and kick his ass. Then Diaz killed Curtis and I was shocked cause at this point this VR plot has gone on like 20 minutes. And then when I'd completely forgotten I'd ever thought it was VR, except a little naggle in the back of my head saying "Curtis can't be dead" it turned out to just be VR. What a rollercoaster of could not give much shits. I could honestly toss out this whole suicide squad 2.0 thing. Fuck, I could throw out all of Argus and be happy. All the actually do is supply faceless nobodies for the bad guys to absolutely cream, and make our heroes look better when they cream the bad guys. And then I cream my pants. 4 stars. :p
  11. Rent Live ****It was a great performance. Sure, most of it was the dress rehearsal, but thankfully Dress Rehearsals are often treated like the real thing, because that's literally their last chance to make sure it's all perfect before the show. Often times the Dress Rehearsal is a better performance than opening night. So it's not exactly like getting a subpar performance. Also, as someone who has only seen the movie of Rent, I was surprised how different the play was. Especially the second act. The performances were middling. I wasn't a big fan of the two leads, or the teacher. They just couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Anthony Rapp or Jessie L Martin who both showed up from the DC and Star Trek universes to sing in the finale. Probably the best part, but I also really enjoyed Vanessa Hudgen's as Maureen. I know she was the stunt casting of the musical, but she actually fit her character really well, and was the only one I prefered to the original. Mimi was alright as well, but I still heart Rosario Dawson. All in all, it was an enjoyable two hours and worth the waste of time. Oh also there was a much larger focus on Aids than the movie. Not a criticism or plus, just interesting. Though with all the PSA like discussions on HIV littered throughout the whole musical... until the end when it got lost completely. Bookending the play with a final discussion on AIDS probably would have helped the production feel consistent, instead of getting lost in the celebration. I suppose they had the tribute to the creator, but that didn't have anything to do with the Aids that the rest of the play was about.
  12. Brooklyn Nine Nine ****
    I enjoyed Rosa's storyline. Her interactions with Broyle were fun, and she's so adorably sensitive underneath all that darkness. Also loved Holt's storyline about the radio show. It was kept light for the other plots, but still had some chuckles. The A plot was good, but I more enjoyed Amy's contributions. She's such an awesome wife, and does such a great job of being supportive and involved and well the perfect wife. I didn't care for her in season 1, but I heart her so much now. Even the way she was getting turned on by his 0 absences was hilarious. I hope the show gives her storylines in the future where we get to explore her life and Jake gets to be just as supportive and involved with her life and things she cares about.
  13. The Good Place ****
    It was a fun episode of The Good Place, but the real highlight was definitely Eleanor. She had all the best moments, really stepped up and grew as a character, and nothing was cuter than that kiss she gave Chidi in public when he was trying to stay platonic. It was so cute. I love their relationship, so it might not surprise you that I hated the last like ten minutes with the twist that they had to destroy the relationship I love and reset Chidi for the hundredth time.
  14. ➤ Star Trek Discovery ***1/2 Maybe I'm just tired but I found that episode terrible. The Klingon stuff was dumber than ever. Most certainly dumber than season one. Frankly I've never cared for the Klingons. I think they're all a dumb race of toxic masculinity. On top of that, the hair seems fine, but the way it works with the rest of the make up just makes everyone look like they have very large rubber heads. Sorta like that baby head she pulled out at the end. I will admit it got a little more interesting when Phillipa Georgieu shoed up. But she couldn't save this episode too much. Tilly's subplot was interesting thoguh. Especially because that random speck of dust really did have significance after all, like people were projecting.
  15. Black Lightning ***1/2
    2x10: It was a fine episode of Black Lightning, but nothing spectacular. Finally the Jenn on the run storyline came to an end, but I gotta ask. Why weren't the cop or Black Lightning nearby when Kaleel got transferred? I assumed they were trying to set a trap for Jeremiah, but instead they just assumed "Naw, we'll just give Kaleel over to the FBI, and let Jeremiah murder the FBI and Kaleel. I mean how did they not know that was going to happen? That's the part I didn't understand. But damn, sucks to be Kaleel, that looked really painful.
    2x11: A fine episode I suppose. I was really tired and past out repeatedly watching it, then passed out completely, woke up like 5 hours later. Jumped through the episode to catch what I missed. It probably deserved better, as there are a lot of interesting wheels spinning in this episode. Teh acting can be a little wonky at points, and the writing has never been great, but it's fine. It's all fine. There are worse shows. And now Kaleel's dead, and I don't really care? Just another romance with a guy with anger issues. Good Riddance I say.
  16. Saturday Night Live ***
    A fun episode, not as bad as a lot of episodes lately, but then again I love James Mcavoy. He wasn't the best at reading the cue cards, and his reading problem was enough to really hamper some of the sketches, especially the early ones, but there was some great content here, including the Tumnus sketch, the charmin sketch,
  17. Riverdale ***
    A fine episode of Riverdale. Kinda bizzare how they just continued on as if they didn't end last episode with killing Archie. They mention scars we don't even see, say he's changed but he's not really. They break him up from Veronica so she can keep dating Reggie, and be all worried for her dad even though he's an evil prick. The one bright spot, well Betty and her Father were alright, but the one bright spot was the twist at the end. After setting up that Cheryl's dad would be taking over as Sheriff, it was nice to see Skeet Ulrich get it instead. The show Jericho proved he's a far better sheriff.
  18. Star Wars Resistance ***
    1x13: Fine, if slow and somewhat uninteresting episode of Star Wars. Kaz has to watch the shop while the shopkeeps are away, and of course that's when a mercenary working for the first order decides to strike. It was middling uninteresting fair, but it filled half an hour.
    1x14: Second episode was really good though. Now Kaz knows about Sinara, the First Order is more involved than ever, Torra was involved and she's way cute and I definitely ship her and Kaz. I also kind of like the dynamic of Kaz and his three lady friends who are all friends of each other through him. It's like as much of a klutz as he is, his strength seems to be that he surrounds himself with capable people and sees the best in them.
  19. The Gifted ***
    It was an alright episode. I was bored the whole way through, but I've had a lot to watch lately. I did think Lauren's plot was pretty boring. I'd rather had some cool psychological mind battle, but instead she just became a runaway for a bit and got all moody and pale. It was sorta like she had her period this episode. Amy Acker probably had the best arc, as they continue to set her up as the one human who probably deserves powers more than any of the mutants, as she's ten times the hero they are. I'm worried for poor Marcos though. The things he goes through for Polaris. And after giving all that blood too! And now he's been shot multiple times! He's fucked!!!
  20. Black Monday **It seemed alright. I get how its tongue in cheek wasn't too far removed from something like The Brink. But I don't have time for this. I gave the first episode ten minutes, didn't love all the cocaine, or the way Don Cheadle treated the other guy, and just peace'd there. Sorry Don Cheadle.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice News Tonight ****1/2
  2. Stephen Colbert**** 
  3. The Daily Show ***1/2 
  4. James Corden **

No comments:

Post a Comment