Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Geekly Daily 22 (Tuesday, November 5): On and on about my job

Now playing: Diablo 3 Switch

Now Watching: My DVR

Now Listening: AFterbuzz podcasts

Now Reading:  The Flash #2


Tweet of the Day: https://twitter.com/AndrewGeczy/status/1059667265774407681

The person I spent so long fretting and stressing about was so sick she didn't give me any trouble at all. She was chill and subdued. I almost feel bad for wasting so much time worrying. It's possible she was talked to, told to turn it down a notch. I had also mentioned to the asst mngr that if she frustrated me, I was afraid her loud music would be too hard to compete with my podcast. But she didn't even play any music till the end of the shift, and I feel bad if they talked to her cause I too was feeling sick and didn't really take advantage of the silence much. And when she did play her music it was at a fine volume I could still hear my stuff without having to make it so loud everyone would hear too, which was all I was concerned about. Again I don't know if she just wasn't in a partying mood, or if someone told her to turn down the music. The point is I now feel like the idiot for making a big deal about nothing.

Which goes back to my conclusion yesterday. Some times it pays to just man up and take your medicine. Sometimes it doesn't even taste as bad as you were expecting. Maybe tomorrow will be the same, she'll be feeling crappy and not give me too hard a time. I'll play my podcasts, keep to myself, and serve customers. The 8 hours should go by in no time. And if not, hopefully I'm able to figure it out. Hopefully at least I'll remember I have my podcasts, cause the worst is when I get trapped in my head, seething over something, and trying to keep it in, and then everything feels like another slight. And then the shift is misery and frustration, when a blissful distraction is often just a play button away.

I'm trying to be strong. But I bought another pack today... :(

Oh and I mentioned I too felt a little sick. The temperature was getting to me. I had a lot of layers cause it was cold, but then my torso was super hot while my legs were super cold and it was making me feel sick. There came a point there were three of us were behind the counter, and all three were doubled over feeling a different kind of ill.

There was also a funny point earlier in the shift where the asst. Manager was reading a comic on her phone, I had just finished all the daily chores in the first couple hours, so I stood beside her and figured I'd do as she was doing, and pulled out my ipad to read comics.  Suddenly the manager comes out "I never want to see that device out here ever again! Absolutely not!" Ooookay. A little disappointing considering in the interview they'd mentioned that it gets quiet at times at night and I might need stuff to do to distract myself, and I told them I write and could work on my books which they seemed quite okay with... but now seem very against me using the things I would need to be able to work on my writing. My laptop they say is right out. Cause it's a surface book I tried the argument it's just a tablet with a keyboard. But now I'm not allowed tablets either so that's right out.

Anyway, I've bitched enough about my job here. I just can't wait for nights. I've said last week that it was my last morning shift, but hopefully this time that's for real. I don't do well with these morning shifts.  I just wanna get to nights where I can be by myself and not be bothered by anyone.This also might be my last shift with the person who was once insufferable but lately somewhat subdued. So if it was just her not feeling well, I'll be out of her hair before she gets her energy back. Hopefully it's a clear path from here to nights. Before they "take away" any more of my "toys". The place seemed so laid back and chill on the first day, but was quick to show it's ugly colors. Drama, lots of stress. And I don't mean me, but like everyone. I suppose it's universal.

I also feel like I was all over the place with this. I'll give a warning in the title. DOn't rad this unless you wanna hear me go on and on about my non-exceptional job. Alright, I have Arrow and Legends of Tomrorow on my DVR and I've been putting them off since 6 thinking about all this nonsense and how guilty I feel for causing that woman any trouble if she was talked to... it's now two hours later at 8:13... ugh, and I have to be up at 4 tomorrow. See what I mean about getting trapped in my head. It's not just like an anger problem. It can be fueled by any kind of emotion. I just... overthink everything. All the time. too much. Wasting all my free time. I mean, I've tried to just put it all out here, so like, you can see what I mean. This is my mind, all the time. Maybe that's normal. Maybe I'm more normal than I think. Ugh I'm overthinking again.

And there'll be a whole new batch of shows on my DVR any hour now. I really need to cut back on some stuff. More shows need to end, and new shows need to stop cropping up. And I need better time management.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( ➤ for new ):
  1. Legends of Tomorrow *****Great episode of Legends. I ;loved Ray's storyline from beginning to end. This episode was fun from beginning to end, even if Nate's plot with Gary seemed completely forgettable.
  2. Supergirl ****1/2
    Another great episode of Supergirl. Another DC show is setting itself up for possibly the best season yet. It was nice pairing Martian Manhunter with new character Manchester Black. From the moment you meet him, he's a lot of fun. Eccentric and dramatic, I enjoyed the scenes with him. I'm worried the President is nefarious. Alex was alright this episode, and it was nice at the end of the episode we got confirmation that Melissa Benoist has finished filming the crossover.
  3. Doctor Who ****1/2 
    A good fun episode of Doctor Who. I'm getting a little tired of her accidentally leading everyone to their deaths time and time again, only to be saved by a Deus Ex Machina. Usually the Doctor is more self reliant and self capable than that. I think they're trying to say the theme of the season is needing to rely on people, but for the first female Doctor it doesn't help the narrative that a woman can do anything a man can do. I want to see it. In action. I want to be proud of my doctor. And I always am in the end, but if it weren't for dumb luck rescues from strangers in like 2 or 3 episodes now out of 5 she'd be dead as dead gets, all her companions with her. But everything from there has been enjoyable, and I can't fault an episode for the faults of the season.
  4. The Last Ship ****1/2 I went into this episode really not wanting to watch it. My DVR has been too overcrowded, and my time so damn limited. But I forced myself to watch it before Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, and to my surprise it kept my interest. It was intense, building up to the finale, somethign I feel like I say every week for this show. Some of the sea maneuvers were dumb, they killed the black guy, and now they might be adding in a subplot that Chandler is going crazy, but they don't seem very interested in spending much time on it, and it's kinda random just introducing that last minute.
  5. Titans ****1/2
    I really enjoyed this episode of the show. I really enjoyed the Doom Patrol. They were weird and fun. I was surprised how much this episode lingered on Robotman's pain. And the dynamic of that group was fun and weird. Though I wasn't sure, is their chief a bad guy. He seemed pretty evil. Also it seemed weird how she was okay with him strapping her down, but then 5 seconds later changed her mind and wanted. Why let yourself be strapped down in the first place! What were you expecting? Anyway, I enjoyed everything between Dick and Koriandr. And Koriandr in general. And Dick and Raven. And all things Raven, except getting strapped down. It was definitely the best episode so far of this show. And I like it leans full into the weird. Because that Robotman costume is ridiculous.
  6. ➤Arrow ****It was an alright episode. I didn't necessarily appreciate the way they were torturing Oliver. Give the man food and water! Stop injecting him with shit! Let the man sleep. How was any of that allowed in a  prison. Meanwhile they spent more time making Dinah even more unlikable than she already was by having her arrest Renee.
  7. Family Guy ****
    I really enjoyed this week's family guy. They played around with their formula, poking fun at themselves. For one they had way too many cut aways, and they played around with them like with the cutaway to the gunrange, and then the next scene it pans over to continue paying off the joke in the cutaway. There were so many crazy lines and ridiculous nonsense moments. If you went into this looking for cohesion or any kind of plot,m this is not that episode. This episode was just random for random sake, and I love that. Not every joke needed to land, but a lot of them did.
  8. The Walking Dead ****
     I enjoyed this episode, certainly more than some. I wasn't fooled when they said he would be leaving the show. I mean, I believed that, I just didn't believe they were going to kill him. It smelled from the beginning as a red herring, and I was right, they did a switcheroo. He's leaving the show to film movies in universe continuing his journey, and the show is going to continue on with a new status quo. I feel like doing movies might have been a better choice when they had a larger audience, but who knows. Maybe this will be the trick they need to bring people back. I liked the scene between Negan and Maggie. I liked some of the Rick scenes, though it was laughable how he'd pass out like feet from the walkers, and wake up with still plenty of time to get away. I thought the girl cast as Judith in the fast forward was a little too young for me to believe she's some bad ass. Maybe older then six next time... I think they're hoping she'd grow into it... but I dunno if that's gonna work.
  9.  DuckTales ****
     
    A great episode of Ducktales this week, focusing on the annoying Glomgold, and making him less annoying and more nuanced. I loved his journey as an amnesiac fisherman, and that dream sequence of his was one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a kids cartoon. It was great, and maybe a little traumatizing. Scrooge had only a small role, and was perfectly used, perhaps his role should be sidelined more often. This show has such a great cast of surrounding characters, always a sign of a great cartoon. Remember Nickolodeons TMNT, the one started in 2012. If you haven'y seen it yet, in my opinion it's the best version of TMNT yet, because it's fun for kids and adults, and is written brilliantly. Like this show. These modern cartoons are very good at talking to adults as much as kids, and they are worth watching.

Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Last Week Tonight
  2. Real Time with Bill Maher
  3. Vice News Tonight
  4. Stephen Colbert

No comments:

Post a Comment