Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Geekly Daily 86 (Wednesday, March 13th):

Now playing:

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁


▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new)(PS: There will be Spoilers)(PPS: I live tweet shows on twitter, but I try to keep those spoiler-lite for the important spoilers @AndrewGeczy)
  1. Shameless *****
    Great finale of the show this week. A lot of emotions running high, and people makignlarge choices that will make impacts both on their lives and on the show as a whole. It was rough, watching Liam drift away, watching Fiona leave. Lip's storyline was sweet, as was Carl's. And Debbie becoming head of the household was fitting for her. All in all, it was a good season of the show, and while this wasn't the funniest episode, the sentiment felt real, and went along way. Go Shameless Go.
  2. The Walking Dead *****
    Awesome episode this week. I freaking loved the fight between Daryl and Beta. I loved all the lead up and the setting in the apartment building. I loved the tender moments between Henry and Lydia. I loved all the stuff with Carol and the Kingdom and convincing the Highwaymen to help them defend the road. And then they show up to save Tara. So much awesome stuff. I like the mute girl more than ever, loved Daryl so much this episode. And Dog. This show is great. This is the show at it's best. I'm so glad I never jumped ship. I'll be honest, I never considered jumping ship, I never stopped enjoying this show. Even during its slower moments. But this was definitely the show at its best.
  3. ➤ The Flash ***** Great episode this week. Awesome episode. I really enjoyed it. They did it, they beat Cicada. With words no less. Of course it opened them up to an all new Cicada. I really enjoyed the emotion, the stakes, the humour. The episode was great. The only weakness was little forced moments with XS, but those moments weren't enough to bring the show down.
  4. GenLOCK *****
    That was the finale, and it was good. Really good. Good action, good drama, some of the family dynamics between the team brought tears to my eyes. I didn't quite understand why, if Mind sharing eats through your return time, was Chase trapped in his robo-body the same time everyone else would have been. He never mind shared, plus he's had more practice Gen Locking, so wouldn't he be able to last longer from his body? Anyway, good first season, setting up what I'm sure will be an even better, and more confident, season 2. 
  5. Fleabag ****1/2
    I love Pheobe Waller Bridge. She's beautiful, and brilliant, and funny, and vulgar, and awkward. She's perfect. And her show is great, though I really hate her sister's husband. He's such a creepy little shit. I don't know why she's with him, why she puts up with him, how she can put up with him, how he can be a gross creepy little shit. And that part at the end there when the kid whispered to her what he said... and she says "He's gonna kill someone some day" He's warning you to save your sister! Warning you about a guy you already hate and know is bad news! Why wouldn't you listen to him? Other than that though, great show.
  6. Supergirl ****1/2
    Good episode this week. Almost a great episode, but held back by moments of just complete cheese. It was probably even more flawed than I'm scoring it, but there was a lot to like in this episode, including a strangely homo-erotic relationship between Martian Manhunter and Manchester Black. I kept feeling like they were moments from making out for most of the episode. I'd dig it. Also Brainy had a good arc, and dreamer wasn't bad. Though where did those glowy things come from. Are we gonna get a description for any of her powers? She went from predicting things to like shooting stuff and projecting and all kinds of crazy shit... all off screen. The climax protest was pretty good though.
  7. Star Wars Resistance ****1/2Good episode of the show. Things have definitely gotten intense on the station, and we learn it might just be a space station in disguise. Basically it's Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis. It's been nice having the main characters actually actively resisting the first order, and it's been fun connecting with the movies. The droid fight was a little silly. And Tam's storyline is still kind of a pain in the ass. But good episode overall.
  8. Duck Tales ****
    Good episode of the show. It solely focused on their mother, only ever hinted at, finally filling in the back story of where she's been this whole time. Turns out shes been suffering pretty hard on the moon, dealing with one crisis after another for years. It was actually a little rough watching her descent into madness, but the end paid of fairly well, and where we leave off she's still stranded. Will she ever get free? Is that all the rest of this season will be about? Only time will tell.
  9. Arrow ****
    Good episode of Arrow this week, but a little strange and frustrating. Trying to work with the cops seemed like a good idea at first, and even the training was kinda fun. They were all wearing the same thing, and trying to fit in. But as soon as their act hit the field it all fell apart. And there didn't seem to be any reasonable answers... until at the end the Police are just like "Naw, we're cool with the costumes now." with no build up or explanation why they would suddenly pull a 180. Oh and EMiko threatening Laurel? Good luck. What is up with her?
  10. High Maintenance ****
    It was a good episode, though the part about the fake baby was weird. I'm guessing the woman had some kind of issue, maybe she couldn't have kids, so that's her way of coping. Otherwise, it's just weird. At one point there was a girl who mentioned she was afraid of sleep. I sorta wanted to know more about her. As for the second story, I felt bad for the family, clearly lost a mom. The Nanny takes care of them until the daughter pushes her too far and she leaves. Who knows what will happen with them now.
  11. Saturday Night Live ****Better than usual episode of SNL this week, continuing a strong streak from last week with John Mulaney. There were a lot of expert sketches in this, absurd moments that made me laugh out loud. If the rest of the season had been more like the last couple episodes I would have complained a lot less.
  12. Family Guy ***1/2Good episode. I really enjoyed Quagmire's daughter, and hope she continues into future episodes. After all, it would be pretty callous to just have her disappear. I enjoyed some of the jokes too, including a couple that really cracked me up, but other jokes didn't land at all. The best joke was a splash shot of every character of every Seth Macfarlane show including The Orville, and a couple show ghosts of Adam West and Carrie Fisher. But a lot of jokes didn't really land, and they could have been more clear on if the daughter is a permanent fixture, and a lot of the plot beats barely succeeded at what they were trying to do. I think this is a good spot for this episode. Enjoyable, but flawed. Sorta like the show in general.
  13. American Gods ***1/2
    There's been a lot of talk that this show is falling apart behidn the scenes with the loss of one show runner after another. It's too bad, because I felt that season one was very strong. Deep and meaningful. Weird yet purposeful. This episode wasn't terrible. It wasn't bad. It might have even been good, and it was weird. But all the weird... I dunno it just didn't seem quite as purposeful. Even at a lesser capacity this show is absolutely worth watching, but I do hope they can get back to the highs they experienced in season 1.
  14. Now Apocalypse **I had absolutely no idea what this show was. I saw Tyler Posey from Teen Wolf, I saw some cute girls. I saw that there was apparently a lot of... I guess gay stuff is the best way to put it. I was determined not to let sub-conscious nineties male homophobia color my opinion of this show, and set out to give it an open chance. But I was also more than ready to drop it at the first sign of losing my interest. Well it kept my interest all the way through, partly with boobs, partly with Tyler Posey being very strange and vapid. I also liked seeing Matty from Awkward. He's popping up all over the place. But I'm not quite sure what it is exactly that I watched. And I dunno how much I enjoyed this, but I'll watch another episode I suppose.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. ➤ Vice News Tonight *****
  2. ➤ The Daily Show ****
  3. Last Week Tonight ****1/2
  4. Stephen Colbert ****
  5. ➤ James Corden **

No comments:

Post a Comment