Saturday, March 23, 2019

Geekly Daily 92 (Friday, March 22nd):

Now playing: Isabol Tseung Voice News


▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

I menat to publish this last night. Just busting my butt working on my new chapter, it hasn't been going very well, but I'm hoping this is the day all that changes. Lets get it done today, and I'll still have time for putting my life together tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Oh also I forgot to inculde Star Trek Discovery on my rankings... uh... fixed?
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new)(PS: There will be Spoilers)(PPS: I live tweet shows on twitter, but I try to keep those spoiler-lite for the important spoilers @AndrewGeczy)
  1. Deadly Class *****
    Amazing finale this week. This might be one of my favourite shows ever. It's just right up my alley. And I keep saying that.  But this finale was so much crazy manic action, and all the women were so bad ass I heart Saya so much, but Maria all made up is amazing too. And Petra. This episode was a crazy wild ride and if you're not watching, find where you can get the whole complete season, and give it a go. It's so good, and fun, and only just too bad it's so short. And they end on such a cliffhanger! What an episode. A+ Well done. Amazing Season 1.
  2. The Walking Dead *****
    Damn that was a good episode again this week. I really didn't want the flashback at first, and was glad yet again when they didn't turn out to be the whole episode. And everything in the modern day was amazing. I just love Judith so much I think I'm gonna start setting of like child pervert alarms. "He keeps saying he loves a like ten year old kid" uh... I just think she's super cool and bad ass and the show should focus on her, and she can like grow up alongside the show. It means no more time skipping, and no recasting or I riot! Time on the show will move exactly as fast as the actress who plays Judith ages. Anyway. SO this show was flying on all cylinders. Even the flashbacks, which bored the crap out of me at first, went in a freaking insane direction where Michonne found herself in Lord of the Flies and the only was she could defend her kids is to kill a whole bunch of other kids. That scene was insane. I'll be honest I teared up a couple times this episode. And it was usually when people were talking about how awesome Judith is. I'm just like "I KNOW RIGHT!"
  3. Arrow *****
    If you told me at the beginning of the season, or the middle of the season, or last week, or this morning, that there would be an episode that would be all flash forward and no Oliver Queen, I would have said boo. Boo-oring. Well I'd have been wrong, I loved that episode. It actually might have been one of my favourite episodes of the season. I love Mia, and getting more of her backstory was cool. Also, seeing Nyssa Al Ghul training her from a young age how to fight was interesting. I love how they didn't address it or even mention her name. I was like "Was that Nyssa?" and then I saw the credit for Katrina Law and I was like "Damn right it was!"
  4. Star Wars Resistance *****
    Best episode of the show yet. This is kinda what everyone wanted the whole show to be, and it only took the entire season to get there. But it's perhaps being used to the smaller stakes, that having this smaller stakes sort of cast suddenly dealing with higher stake situations was really effecting. Seeing Torra in the cockpit not treating it all like a game was really moving. Seeing all the different elements of the season come together literally brought a tear to my eye, but I've had a rough week so maybe my emotions are all over the place. It was also nice Tam finally made a choice, even if it was the wrong one. That back and forth was driving me crazy. Great finale. Can't wait for season 2. Please tell me Neeku didn't send them too far off course. Oh... what if they find Ezra Bridger!
  5. The Flash ****1/2
    Great episode this week. Ralph was probably the most awkward part, but everything else going on was fun compelling stuff. Sherloque figured it out! Oh and Barry's reaction to finding out the truth about Thawne seemed a little extreme. But still, I love this show. Sherloque was the best part for sure. I also was mentioning to someone today that Cisco isn't acting much like Cisco anymore. The way he's hating on the lifestyle is so counter to his personality. He's a geek! He wouldn't be excitedly naming the villains if he hated the job. He gets to be a superhero! No geek gets superpowers and says "Man, I wish I could be normal." It's so counter to his character, and feels like they just want to build up a reason to get rid of him. If Arrows ending, and he's leaving, is this the end of the DC CW Arroverse that I love? Will everything reach a finality come the Crisis event next year?
  6. ➤ Star Trek Discovery ****1/2A decent episode of the show, a little held back by A) being so predictable and B) not completely making sense. The whole thing with Burnham, there had to be a better less agonizing way to do that. It being her mom was super easy to guess the moment they said it was her DNA. This show certainly did some interesting things this episode, and seems to be cementing it's place as a show with stuff going on. It felt both a self contained story as well as pushing forward the narrative. I heard the season is almost over. If ti continues on this path this season will be, while weaker than season 1, still a strong complete season of the show. Said another way, I guess things are finally coming together.
  7. American Gods ****1/2
    Loved the stuff with Laura Moon and the leprechaun. Also the history of Shadow Moon, and his backstory with his mother, was an interesting thing to explore. I do still find myself missing the strength of season one though. This season doesn't reach the heights of the last, and I especially miss the stories we used to get about the old gods. Also everything with Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Nancy were meh. Funny snippets, but no substance and didn't lead anywhere particularly interesting.
  8.  Supergirl ****1/2
    Awesome episode of Supergirl this week. Parts of it were slow, and Alex's scenes were largely stupid and superfluous and a waste of time, and it's rare that Alex is my least favourite part of an episode, but since she had her memories erased she just hasn't been the same, and her storylines have suffered. Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor was hard to take seriously at first, and that never really changed. But he went from being ridiculous, to being ridiculously kind of awesome, and I'm excited to see where things go from here.
  9. ➤The Orville ****What a great a great episode of the show. I wasn't expecting that. I was actually hoping to drop this show from my list, like I did Riverdale this week. Instead it really captured me right from the start with sentiment and subtlety. I am kind of shocked. The B plot was fun, with Bortis being addicted to cigarettes. and I really enjoyed and could relate to his struggles. When he had all those secret hiding spots, oh man that was so me. But then the A plot was something else entirely. The relationship Gordon forms with a woman he constructs using a phone in a time capsule from the year 2015. She feels genuine, and relatable, and the way he falls for her despite her not being real is also believable. It was touching, and sweet, and not played for humour. These are the moments the show really excels. The theme behind it all, moral so to speak, was also really well thought out and kind of deep. And the fact this show can go from a big high budget action piece like last week's battle against Issac's entire robot species, to a quiet subdued drama this week about a man fallign in love with a woman who isn't real, and the more he tries to change her, the less real she seems. It's just excellent work. Still completely compelling.
  10. High Maintenance ****
    It was a fine episode of High Maintenance. I don't know if the stories it's been telling lately have just been less interesting, or maybe the novelty of the mundane is starting to wear off, but the second half of this season didn't feel as strong as the first half, or especially season one. There were still moments of interest throughout, but it seemed the more the show tried to build a cohesive narrative, the less the product worked as a whole. Here's hoping next season is better. I still think this show is great and important.
  11. Brooklyn Nine Nine ****
    2x10: A Broyles focused episode made this one a bit of a snooze for me, but it was saved by the fun B plot involving Holt and Amy's obsession with bugs and bug experts. And in so doing they creep out Terry who shaves his eyebrows and the bleaches his beard and ends the episode looking like a complete clown. Every aspect of that B story fired on all cylinders, it's too bad I couldn't care less about Broyles.
  12. ➤ Gotham ****I went in, really not in the mood for this show, and it didn't really grab me at first. But the dynamics quickly became interesting as Nyssa Al Ghul was introduced (Not the same actress who just reappeared on Arrow, unfortunately) and Penguin and Riddler had to work with Lee to protect a pregnant and in labour Barbara from the murderous and unstoppable Bane. Frankly that dynamic made the whole episode, in my opinion, and overall I came away enjoying my time with the show despite being so bored of it when it began.
  13. Fleabag ****
    It was a fine episode of the show. I think I had my biggest laugh when she just shattered that award into a thousand pieces. That was hilarious. And replacing it with that statue was ridiculous. I liked the woman who won the award, and I liked Fleabag's attempts at sleeping with the priest. Can he tell when she talks to the camera? Wonder what will come of that? If anything.
  14. ➤ Brooklyn Nine Nine ***1/22x11: It was an alright episode of the show, with the funniest moments probably revolving around Jake's mistrust of therapy. A lot of the jokes in this actually fell pretty flat, as did a number of the B plots of which there were many this time around. All around a meh episode. but of a show when even at it's Meh-est is pretty fun.
  15. ➤ The Goldbergs ***Decent episode of The Goldbergs. I enjoyed the primary plot about Adam making a Video Game version of his family. The video games was unbelievably complex for him to be making so quickly, but it was clear that it was supposed to be a metaphor for the show, and it really worked. I didn't know Erica was actually based on his brother. That was a bit of a shock for me. As for a story that didn't work, the B story about his grandfather's gambling addiction had moments of humour, but also got strangely sentimental when it was completely unearned and just sort of ended. Not a fun ride. There were a couple great Jeff moments, and a couple great Matt Bradley moments. They are my two favourites. Just random background characters that always mean well and always get shit on.
  16. Black Lightning ***
    I guess this was the season finale. Very mediocre. I enjoy Jenn and Anyssa, but couldn't care less about anything else going on. Like for a finale, I could tell it was a finale cause things were wrapping up, but they never really ramped up. I really felt this episode largely fell flat. If it was just a normal episode it might have been an above average episode of wheels spinning. Instead it was a wheels spinning all the way into an ending and it was just weird. This show is weird. It does things differently than other shows, which I suppose is allowed but... I dunno.
  17. ➤ Riverdale *I didn't think I'd actually do it, but I gave up on Riverdale. They started a musical episode again, and right from the start I'm like "Why do they have this whole routine made up walking through the school just to sell the mayor on the musical like she would have any say. And why was Veronica involved with that singing while working her jobs with Pops. The mayor wasn't even there, that wasn't even a part of it! This doesn't make sense. I don't care about any of the drama, they're losing me on the characters. I like the show... ish... but I don't have time for this and I don't like it enough. I've made it clear that I need shows to drop, and I think this might be one of them. I'll throw it on my watch list, and maybe I'll catch up again at some point. It'll be right there, on top of the vampire diaries in limbo hell. Never did watch that last season.Next lets cut The Orville too!
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Last Week Tonight *****
  2. Vice News Tonight ****
  3. Stephen Colbert ****
  4. The Daily Show ***
  5. This Hour has 22 Minutes *** 
  6. James Corden ***

No comments:

Post a Comment