Monday, December 31, 2018

Geekly Daily 42 (Monday December 31): Happy New Year Everybody

Now playing: Smash Bros

Now Watching: The Transformers movies
Now Listening: TV recap podcasts

Now Reading/Writing: Adrift Homeless


Man I was so pissed yesterday. I used to be so good at nights. No really, I did. For 5 years I did them at Tim Hortons, and I had my sleep down to a science. But then I was trained on days at my new job before getting put on to nights, and I have not been able to get control of it. For some weird reason it's been like my body would only sleep in the afternoons, which kept not being when I'd wanna sleep. It got so bad, that yesterday I went to see Aquaman and couldn't tell you a thing about it. I just kept closing my eyes and apparently missing large swaths of the movie. Then I came home and accidentally passed out and missed my bus and had to Uber to work!

But finally today, I didn't sleep through any alarms and woke up while the sun was still out. Well it wasn't out, it was overcast, but somwhere in that white there was a sun. An now it's dark, but hey I was up at 3, that's a step in the right direction.

3:30. But it was a step in the right direction. This is going to be the week I do what I've been always talking about doing. I'm going to take control of my life. No not as a new years resolution thing. as a me doing now thing, and it just happens to be new years, god damn it.Those never work. That's not what this is. But I'm also quitting smoking. Not because of no new years. But because now is the right time.

And no, I'm not celebrating new years at all. A guy like me doesn't get holidays. A nerdy guy like me with no friends and no one who cares about me at all has nothing to celebrate and no one to celebrate with. I'll be at work tonight, listening to podcasts about the elseworld crossovers, cleaning dust off of shelves and changing garbages in way too cold weather. I'll probably be hungry and want to order a burger, but I'll resist that because I'm broke. I'll probably also really want a cigarette, but I'm gonna resist that too. Cause I'm broke and don't wanna smoke anymore, and I'm taking my life back. SO while everyone else will be celebrating and cheering and kissing and... fucking I guess. And drinking INXS, I will be practicing willpower and suffering. Thus is my life. I also didn't have a christmas or presents. My christmas present was having to pay like 50 bucks just to show up for work. I'm so broke. It hurts.

But so assuming your holidays are going better than mine, enjoy them, and have a happy new year.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new):
  1. ➤ Z Nation ****1/2
    It's funny, when the episode started, someone said something about taking Sun Mei's brain to Murphy, and I tweeted "Oh, so this episode is going to end with Murphy eating Sun Mei's brain and learning the cure for zombies?" and apparently I had a really good grasp on the show I was watching, because yeah that is literally the final shot. Considering how much of a surprise it was that Znation got cancelled, I'm actually really impressed at how well this episode works as a finale. Maybe Doc and 10k don't get much of a wrap up, and oh yeah, Warren is dead. I thought that was a kind of dumb reveal. Especially since I'm sure Murphy will just cure her with the zombie cure and everything will be good. And they have a place to live now and they can all live happily ever after. It is a surprisingly good series finale. OH and Pandora's face! I almost dropped the half off the score for the Warren twist, but Pandora's face was so good. That effect was fucking grisly. She was awesome all season. Znation, you were the little engine that could, and you did, and you will be missed.
  2. ➤ The Orville ****Wow. What balls this show has. The season premiere, and there's no action, no big special effects. It's almost completely focused on relationships, and that's kind of great. I almost gave this 5 stars cause I wanted it higher than ZNation, but it wasn't that good. It's probably even more a three star episode, but just the balls they had making this the premiere shows how much the care about taking the characters seriously, no matter how silly the show can get. It's like doubling down on itself, and I applaud that. The captain drama with his first officer got tired last season, but felt somewhat fresh this episode, perhaps because of the time apart. The cute girl's plot was meh, but she got out at just the right time. That text would have been my line. As for Gordon, he should have gone for the new girl, cause now she's talking to the captain, and we all know he isn't right for her. Oh, and the Doctor's storyline with her son I started off kind of hating in a bemused sort of way, but Issac's role in it made it my favourite storyline of the night.
Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:

No comments:

Post a Comment