Saturday, December 8, 2018

Geekly Weekly 14 (Saturday, December 8): Sorry I meant to blog more this week

Now playing: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Now Watching: My DVR

Now Listening: Podcasts
Now Reading: RSS News Feed


Man, in a week where every late night host and news station was discussing the same old Trump talking points, Vice dove into some really spectacular international stories that probably deserved more mainstream attention. Just more proof why they are essential to everyone's DVR.

---------------------------
And I wrote the above on Wednesday, but this week has been so hectic, now it's almost Saturday, and I just slept all through my Friday.

Sorry things have been so behind lately. I've been so behind lately. Keep in mind this is my first week back on nights, and it's taking some adapting. Not to mention, this month I will likely be working all 5 day weeks, so it's going to be extra tough for me. I don't know when I'm going to do my writing. I still haven't started it yet, but I do believe with the holidays coming there will be less stuff on TV and that will give me more free time. Fingers crossed. I'm also gonna try to quit smoking next week, and maybe I can start writing this chapter slowly over time instead of binging for 3 days straight

Oh and yeah, my attempt at smoking failed. But I'm still at it. Cutting down slowly...okay no that's a lie too. I've been really stressed. And out of my groove. I'm working on it. I need to center myself, breathe deep, find my cool, and find a new groove for myself that doesn't involve smoking. I mean nows the perfect time when, as I said, I'm off my groove. I haven't been on my groove for a while, and that's with smoking. It's clear the old groove doesn't work. Not like it used to, which still wasn't particularly great. I need a new groove.

Anyway, I'm gonna start my chores for tomorrow early (Technically today, for when I intend to publish this...though my intentions have meant jack squat of late) and then I'll be able to just game all day tomorrow and hopefully beat Spiderman. I've got a lot of things I wanna play and haven't been playing, and I have a lot of stress I need to find a way to relieve, so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to just relax and enjoy myself, if I do all the hard stuff tonight. OKay, so see ya guys later! I hope your lives are going better than mine.

________________________________________

Alright, I slept longer than I meant to. Set my alarm for 9 and woke up at 2. That's the last time I trust Alexa to wake me up. Fucking Alexa.

I just tweeted about the latest vice news tonight, as they did a story on homelessness and its an issue that I'm very concerned with.

did an amazing story on homelessness in California, and what people are trying to do to help the situation. And it was a fascinating deep dive. Living in Hamilton, id love to hear more on the topic, cause it’s a growing concern. I mean, Im one bad day from being 1 of em
People have accused me of not having patience or sympathy for homeless. But they dont get it. I do sympathize, but more than that I understand the struggle. I work so hard and struggle so much just to make sure I have this roof over my head and food in my belly. Barely holding on.

I love my apartment. Even though it's small and crappy, it's safe and clean (ish) and it's mine. It means the world to me. I'm scared as hell of becoming homeless. I was homeless for a month when my dad kicked me out, it was the scariest time of my life. And my finances have never been the same to be honest. It's been since then that my debt has been forever growing. I'm struggling everyday so hard to not become homeless. This month I barely scrsapped together enough for my bills, after I failed to last month. It's been rough switching jobs, and my hours dropped for a bit. Not they'll be higher for december, and that plus holiday pay should hopefully make up for a lot. If I can curb my spending, then that will be only more so. I'm doing alright so far. Bought maybe 60 bucks worth of food n things this week, but I'm not grocery shopping (no time) so that'll make up for that. But I need to quit smoking. I've only had 1 today so far, not that I've been up for long. My last pack is done, but I've hidden a bunch of smokes around my apartment. I'm going to do it. No more smokes for me, I can do this. Lets make a new groove.

I've got a few more things on my DVR, then I'll publish this. Good place, here I come.

Geekly Weekly TV Rankings ( for new, 🎈👑🎈 for the winner, 🐍 for the loser):
  1. 🎈👑🎈 The Flash *****
    Well Supergirl held this top spot for a day. Then Arrow held this top spot for a day. And no one got to see it happen, cause I forgot to publish two days in a row. Sorry. That was a really fun episode, sort of like a flashback episode, but told in a way that really works, and works well. These folks really know what they're doing. It was wonderful seeing so many old faces again. In hindsight, it is a great 100th episode, but while watching it, it doesn't seem too in your face. It doesn't wack you over the head, or feel forced. Anyway, I'm so pumped for that crossover starting Sunday. SO pumped.
  2. Arrow*****
    Supergirl had the pleasure of being in the first spot, but I didn't publish a daily for a couple days, so no one ever got to see it. Ah well, sorry Supergirl. Arrow did good this week. It was refreshing having him out of prison and fighting crime again. It also felt really good when he was in front of everyone, sans mask, and just openly Oliver Queen kicking ass.
  3. The Good Place *****Amazing episode of The Good Place this week. Everyone died and turned into Janet! It was amazing! All the Janets! And Eleanor's plot with Chidi was fun. The puppies were so cute. I even enjoyed the accountant humour. This might have been the best episode of the season. It was just a lot of fun, on top of pushing forward the plot. This felt like the previous seasons in a  major way where the other episodes this season haven't. 
  4. Supergirl ****1/2
    Great episode this week. But it was that scene at the end that made me giddy. I'm so pumped for this crossover, you have no idea. Also, I'm glad the trans girl has more of a purpose now. So she's not just trans, and suffering from narcolepsy, and apparently psychic. She's also an alien! Perhaps she's all things to all people. An every person that men, women, human and alien can all relate to. She's a little bit of all of us. ANyway, it was fun everything with Brainy, and wandering the town. Manchester Black was a joy too, and I hope he keeps showing up. Not bring on next weeks crossover!!!
  5. ➤South Park ****I almost put this below Legends, and then I remembered that Caveman romance subplot that was kinda more the main plot... ANyway, great episode of South Park. They really dialed into the issues surrounding working for major corporations... and as someone who has done that all his life, it was scary how true this episode was. It's scary how true this show is in general. Last week about Anxiety... I don't really understand sometimes, how Matt and Try can be living such a different life to mine, but yet seem to perfectly understand my struggles and what I'm going through.
  6. Titans ****A very strange episode of Titans this week, dealing with very uncomfortable topics. Jumping from child molestation to longterm symptoms of repeated concussions in football, to anger issues and dealing with grief. This was such a dark episode about flawed characters with rough seriouslt fucked up R rated pasts, and it didn't shy away from any of it. It made for hard watching, and didn't provide any of the action thrills I came to the show looking for. In fact, all the action in this episode was against perverts who didn't even try to fight back. But I can't deny it was very well acted, and well written. Oh and Dove, when she dropped her clothes... she is a very attractive woman. Strong too. Fuck Hawk, I could care less for his alpha male ass, but she's beautiful and caring, and strong as fuck. I just can't believe she saw all of his shit and was like "Yeah, I'll sign up for a lifetime of this bullshit" after like one week of dating.
  7. The Big Bang Theory ****There was a lot made of the crossover between Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon, but I thought it was fine. I don't watch young Sheldon, but the crossover did a good job of forwarding his plot in the present day, forwarded it more in this episode than like all season. I love how he says it's half time, yet this is apparently the last season of the show :( Oh my favourite scene was obviously the viking funeral.
  8. Legends of Tomorrow ****
    An episode with definite fun bits, but the focus on Constantine was a little over the top for me.Also over the top, the Asian caretaker's sudden relationship with gross hairy caveman.I don't really blame her though, when Gary is absolutely repulsive.
  9. Ducktales ****
    The christmas theme was an instant turn off for me, but the episode grew on me, especially with the second story. I didn't care much for Scrooge journeying through time, but when Dewy followed along and found young Donald and went in search for his mom, I got more into it. And it was cool, having the Windigo be the spirit of christmas past, after Scrooge had left him behind all those years ago. Hopefully soon we'll finally reunite them with their mom, who apparently seems to be trapped on the moon?
  10. ➤Black Lightning ***1/2
    It was an alright episode of Black Lightning, pushing forward stories and getting Gamby back in on the action. It was fun seeing Jenn have more to do, but parts of this episode were a little grating. Oh the new villain, with the knives, was awesome. Reminded me a lot of my character Frankie in The Aldonn Chronicles. Especially when she was holding back Black Lightning's powers with just a steady stream of knives that never ended. That was awesome. Also I go back and forth on my feeligns of Khaleel. Sometimes I'm down with him, and I think he's cool and I sympathize and relate. But other times he goes all alpha male bullshit and I check out and just want him to die. It's a weird thing to go back and forth on. Really complicated.

  11. Star Wars Resistance ***1/2
    This was a fun little episode. I like the relationship between Kazuta and Tauro, or however you spell their names. THe main guy and the governor's daughter. There's a cute flirty thing going on between them, and quite a few times I expected them to just start making out, but apparently this is a very different kind of show than the one I'm building in my head.
  12. Doctor Who ***
    This was a somewhat boring episode of doctor who, with a lame plot of the week that aimed high, and came across as a little ridiculous to me. It did a decent job of playing in the rules that it set, such as the "entitity" not being malicious, but just lonely. Still, the episode didn't do much to stand out in my mind.
  13. The Gifted ***
    It wasn't a bad episode of The Gifted. Mr. Long-haired dude is going through a weird storyline. Pushing away Blink.  Parts of that storyline were fun, and it was fun watching Andy kill Rebecca. But this show was still pretty infuriating at parts too, and that montage at the end was lame.
  14. Saturday Night Live**1/2
    My favourite sketch of the night was probably the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory one. There wasn't anything special about it, in fact it was a very simple concept. But the execution was so chaotic it created accidental gold. And that was the best this episode had to offer, a couple minutes of accidental gold. Other than that, I was largely bored.
  15. 🐍Family Guy **
    I feel like every once in a while, Family Guy likes to troll their audience. Like that episode where Brian and Stewie were trapped in the bank vault. The writer's had to know how bad that episode was, and just leaned into it. I hate that episode so much. The writer's also have to know how much everyone hates that creepy old man. He's just the worst, and yet they give him a musical number like every season, and focus a storyline on him trying to touch little boys. It's disgusting and horrible, and I don't know why they keep going back to him. But this episode really leaned into it, doubled down. Like "we know you hate this guy, so we'll shove him down your throats." it was obnoxious and disgusting. I skipped the musical number. THere were some funny jokes, some great use of extending the joke, like that woman's name who went on for minutes.

Geekly Weekly Talk Show Showdown:
  1. Vice News Tonight
  2. James Corden
  3. Stephen Colbert
  4. The Daily Show
  5. ➤ Graham Norton Show

No comments:

Post a Comment